Partitioning arrangements of lines I: An efficient deterministic algorithm
- Pankaj K. Agarwal
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we consider the following problem: Given a set ℒ ofn lines in the plane, partition the plane intoO(r 2) triangles so that no triangle meets more thanO(n/r) lines of ℒ. We present a deterministic algorithm for this problem withO(nr logn/r) running time, whereω is a constant <3.33.
- Agarwal, P. K. (1990) Partitioning arrangements of lines, II: Applications. Discrete and Computational Geometry 5: pp. 533-574
- Agarwal, P. K., Sharir, M. (1990) Red-blue intersection detection algorithms with applications to motion planning and collision detection. SIAM Journal on Computing 19: pp. 297-322
- M. Ajtai, J. Komlos, and E. Szemerédi, Sorting inc logn parallel steps,Proceedings of the 15th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1983, pp. 1–9.
- Batcher, K. E. (1968) Sorting networks and their applications. Proceedings of the AFIPS Spring Joint Summer Computer Conference 32: pp. 307-314
- B. Chazelle and J. Friedman, A deterministic view of random sampling and its use in geometry,Proceedings of the 29th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, 1988, pp. 539–549.
- K. Clarkson, A probabilistic algorithm for the post office problem,Proceedings of the 17th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1985, pp. 75–84.
- Clarkson, K. (1987) New applications of random sampling in computational geometry. Discrete and Computational Geometry 2: pp. 195-222
- K. Clarkson, Applications of random sampling in computational geometry, II,Proceedings of the 4th Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry, 1988, pp. 1–11.
- K. Clarkson and P. Shor, Algorithms for diametric pairs and convex hulls that are optimal, randomized and incremental,Proceedings of the 4th Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry, 1988, pp. 12–17.
- Clarkson, K., Tarjan, R. E., Wyk, C. J. (1989) A fast Las Vegas algorithm for triangulating a simple polygon. Discrete and Computational Geometry 4: pp. 423-432
- Cole, R. (1984) Slowing down sorting networks to obtain faster sorting algorithms. Journal of the Association for Computing Machinery 31: pp. 200-208
- Cole, R., Salowe, J., Steiger, W., Szemerédi, E. (1989) An optimal-time algorithm for slope selection. SIAM Journal on Computing 16: pp. 792-810
- Cole, R., Sharir, M., Yap, C. K. (1987) Onk-hulls and related problems. SIAM Journal on Computing 16: pp. 61-77
- Edelsbrunner, H. (1987) Algorithms in Combinatorial Geometry. Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg
- Edelsbrunner, H., Guibas, L., Hershberger, J., Seidel, R., Sharir, M., Snoeyink, J., Welzl, E. (1989) Implicitly representing arrangements of lines or segments. Discrete and Computational Geometry 4: pp. 433-466
- Edelsbrunner, H., Guibas, L., Sharir, M. (1990) The complexity and construction of many faces in arrangements of lines or of segments. Discrete and Computational Geometry 5: pp. 161-196
- Edelsbrunner, H., Welzl, E. (1986) Constructing belts in two-dimensional arrangements with applications. SIAM Journal on Computing 15: pp. 271-284
- Guibas, L., Overmars, M., Sharir, M. (1989) Ray shooting, implicit point location, and related queries in arrangements of segments. Dept. Computer Science, New York University
- Haussler, D., Welzl, E. (1987) ɛ-nets and simplex range queries. Discrete and Computational Geometry 2: pp. 127-151
- J. Matoušek, Construction ofɛ-nets,Discrete and Computational Geometry, this issue, 427–448.
- Megiddo, N. (1983) Applying parallel computation algorithms in design of serial algorithms. Journal of the Association of Computing Machinery 30: pp. 852-865
- J. Reif and S. Sen, Optimal randomized parallel algorithms for computational geometry,Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Parallel Processing, 1987, pp. 270–277.
- J. Reif and S. Sen, Polling: A new randomized sampling technique for computational geometry,Proceedings of the 21st Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, 1989, pp. 394–404.
- Suri, S. (1986) A linear algorithm for minimum link paths inside a simple polygon. Computer Vision, Graphics and Image Processing 35: pp. 99-110
- Welzl, E. (1986) More onk-sets of finite sets in the plane. Discrete and Computational Geometry 1: pp. 83-94
- Woeginger, G. (1988) Epsilon-nets for half planes. Dept. of Mathematics, Free University, Berlin
- Partitioning arrangements of lines I: An efficient deterministic algorithm
Discrete & Computational Geometry
Volume 5, Issue 1 , pp 449-483
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University, 10012, NY, USA