Interaction between calcium and silicon in water-cultured rice plants
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The interaction between Ca and Si in water-cultured rice plants (Oryza sativa L. cv. Akebono) was investigated in terms of uptake. The effect of Ca levels in the solution on Si chemical forms and on the formation of silica bodies in the leaf blades was also examined using soft X-ray irradiation for detection of silica bodies. Si addition (1.66 mM Si) decreased both Ca content of the shoot and uptake at each Ca level. This might mainly result from a decreased transpiration rate caused by Si. Si uptake was not affected when the Ca levels were increased. The results of Si forms showed that silica sol constituted more than 90% of the total Si in the leaf blades regardless of Si and Ca levels, and soluble silica and/or polysilicic acid seems to gel physically over 8.0 mM Si within the plants. Significant difference in the numbers of silica bodies on the third leaf blade was not found between different Ca levels at the same Si level. The content of Si in the leaf blade seems to be a determining factor for the formation of silica bodies. ei]H. Marschner
- Drew M C and Biddulph O 1971 Effect of metabolic inhibitors and temperature on uptake and translocation of45Ca and42K by intact been plants. Plant Physiol. 48, 427–432.
- Lazaroff N and Pitman M G 1966 Calcium and magnesium uptake by barley seedlings. Aust. J. Biol. Sci. 19, 991–1005.
- Ma J F, Nishimura K and Takahashi E 1989 Effect of Si on the growth of rice plant at different growth stages. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 35, 347–356.
- Ma J F and Takahashi E 1990 Effect of Si on the growth and phosphorus uptake of rice. Plant and Soil 126, 115–119.
- Ma J F and Takahashi E 1991 Effect of silicate on phosphate availability for rice in a P-deficient soil. Plant and Soil 133, 151–155.
- Michael G and Marschner H 1962 Influence of varied air humidity and transpiration on mineral uptake and distribution. Z. Pflanzenernaehr. Bodenkd 96, 200–212.
- Miyake Y, Kabo T, Hiraoka T and Tada M 1987 Effect of Si and Ca on the growth of direct sowed rice. Bulletin of the Research Farm, Faculty of Agric., Okayama University 10, 1–6.
- Miyake Y and Takahashi E 1992 Mutual interaction between silicon and calcium on the growth of lowland rice in a paddy field condition. Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr. 63, 395–402.
- Okuda A and Takahashi E 1961 Studies on the physiological role of Si in crop plants. I. Discussion on the Si deficient culture method. J. Sci. Soil Manure 32, 475–480.
- Okuda A and Takahashi E 1962 Studies on the physiological role of Si in crop plants. VIII. Specificity of Si uptake by rice plants. J. Sci. Soil Manure 33, 217–221.
- Sangster A G 1978 Silicon in the roots of higher plants. Am. J. Bot. 65, 929–935.
- Takahashi E and Hino K 1978 Effect of Si forms on Si uptake by rice plants. J. Sci. Soil Manure 49, 357–360.
- Takahashi E, Ma J F and Miyake Y 1990 The possibility of silicon as an essential element for higher plants. Comments Agric. Food Chemistry 2, 99–122.
- Takeoka Y, Matsumura O and Kaufman P B 1983 Studies on silicification of epidermal tissues of grasses as investigated by soft X-ray image analysis. I. On the method to detect and calculate frequency of silica bodies in bulliform cells. Japan J. Crop Sci. 52, 544–550.
- Tsuno Y and Higashi K 1984a Studies on antagonism between Si and Ca in rice plants. I. Effect of wind speed and water depth of irrigation on Si and Ca content of leaf blade. Japan J. Crop Sci. 53, 76–77.
- Tsuno Y and Higashi K 1984b Studies on the antagonism between Si and Ca in rice plants. II. Antagonism between the content of Ca and Si in the leaf blades. Japan. J. Crop Sci. 53, 78–79.
- Tsuno Y and Kasahara H 1984 Studies on antagonism between Si and Ca in rice plants. III. Effect of Si and Ca on the resistance of rice plants to blast disease in the field. Japan. J. Crop Sci. 53, 80–81.
- Interaction between calcium and silicon in water-cultured rice plants
Plant and Soil
Volume 148, Issue 1 , pp 107-113
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- silica body
- soft X-ray irradiation
- Industry Sectors