The acquisition of phosphorus byLupinus albus L.
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A model predicted that the concentration profile of exudate would be less steep and its concentration values higher for larger diameter roots and that rhizosphere volume/g of root would be maximised at a particular root size for a given exudation rate. Root hairs, if active in secretion, would increase the rhizosphere volume/g of root and the substrate concentrations in it. Proteoid roots would increase the concentration of diffusing substance even further, although the rhizosphere volume per g of root may decline due to overlap effects. These effects are discussed in relation to the rate and extent of reactions between exudates and the soil.
- Bowen G D 1979 Integrated and experimental approaches to the study of growth of organisms around roots.In Soil-borne Pathogens. Eds. B Schippers and W Gams. Academic Press.
- Bowen G D and Rovira A D 1976 Microbial colonisation of plant roots. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 14, 121–144.
- Bowen G D and Theodorou C 1973 Growth of ectomycorrhizal fungi around seeds and roots.In Ectomycorrhizae — Their Ecology and Physiology. Eds. G C Marks and T T Kozlowski. pp 107–145. Academic Press, New York.
- Bowen G D and Theodorou C 1979 Interactions between bacteria and ectomycorrhizal fungi. Soil Biol. Biochem. 11, 119–126.
- Clarkson D T 1974 Ion Transport and Cell Structure in Plants. McGraw-Hill, Maidenhead.
- Crank J 1956 The Mathematics of Diffusion. Clarendon Press, 124 p.
- Foster R C and Rovira A D 1976 Ultrastructure of wheat rhizosphere. New Phytol. 76, 343–352.
- Foster R C and Rovira A D 1976 The ultrastructure of the rhizosphere ofTrifolium subterraneum L. Can. J. Microbiol.
- Gardner W K, Barber D A and Parbery D G 1983 The acquisition of phosphorus byLupinus albus L. III. The probable mechanism by which phosphorus movement in the soil/root interface is enhanced. Plant and Soil. 70, 107–124.
- Gardner W K, Parbery D G and Barber D A 1981 Proteoid root morphology and function inLupinus albus. Plant and Soil 60, 143–147.
- Gardner W K, Parbery D G and Barber D A 1982 The acquisition of phosphorus byLupinus albus L. I. Some characteristics of the soil/root interface. Plant and Soil. 68, 19–32.
- Head G C 1964 A study of exudation from root hairs of apples by time-lapse cine-photomicrography. Ann. Bot. (London) II 28, 495–498.
- Newman E I and Bowen H J 1974 Patterns of distribution of bacteria on root surfaces. Soil Biol. Biochem. 6, 205–209.
- Newman E I and Watson A 1977 Microbial abundance in the rhizosphere — a computer model. Plant and Soil 48, 17–56.
- Papavizas G C and Davey C B 1961 Extent and nature of the rhizosphere ofLupinus. Plant and Soil 14, 215–236.
- Pirt S J 1975 Principles of Microbe and Cell Cultivation. Blackwell Scientific Publications.
- Rovira A D 1956 A study of the development of the root surface microflora during initial stages of growth. J. Appl. Bacteriol. 19, 72–79.
- Rovira A D 1969 Plant root exudates. Bot. Rev. 35, 35–57.
- Rovira A D and Campbell R 1974 Scanning electron microscopy of micro-organisms on the roots of wheat. Microbial Ecol. 1, 15–23.
- Rovira A D and Campbell R 1975 A scanning electron microscopy study of interactions between micro-organisms andGaeumannomyces graminis (Syn.Ophiobolus graminis) on wheat roots. Microbial Ecol. 2, 177–185.
- Rovira A D and Davey C B 1974 Biology of the rhizosphere.In The Plant Root and its Environment. Ed. E W Carson. Univ. Press, Virginia, Charlottesville, pp. 155–204.
- Rovira A D, Newman E I, Bowen H J and Campbell R 1974 Quantitative assessment of the rhizoplane microflora by direct microscopy. Soil Biol. Biochem. 6, 211–216.
- Wallace H R 1961 Factors influencing the ability ofHeterodera larvae to reach plants roots.In Recent Advances in Botany. Univ. Toronto Press 407 p.
- The acquisition of phosphorus byLupinus albus L.
Plant and Soil
Volume 72, Issue 1 , pp 13-29
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff/Dr. W. Junk Publishers
- Additional Links
- Lupinus albus L.
- Proteoid roots
- Industry Sectors