Shoot/root assimilate allocation and nodulation ofVigna unguiculata seedlings as influenced by shoot light environment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Spectral balance of light received by southern pea [Vigna unguiculata (L.) Walp.] seedling shoots affected photoassimilate allocation among leaves, stems and roots. A higher ratio of far-red (FR) relative to red (R) light resulted in longer stems, higher shoot/root biomass ratio, less massive roots and fewer nodules. The same response pattern to FR/R ratio was obtained in a controlled environment with artificial light sources, or in sunlight where the FR/R ratio was modified by reflection from different colored soil surfaces or by FR reflected from competing plants. The importance of early shoot/root photoassimilate allocation and nodulation may differ according to soil nitrogen availability and moisture content.
- Downs R J, Hendricks S B and Borthwick H A 1957 Photoreversible control of elongation of pinto beans and other plants. Bot. Gaz. 188, 199–208.
- Hendricks S B and Borthwick H A 1967 Function of phytochrome in regulation of plant growth. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 58,2125–2130.
- Hunt P G, Kasperbauer M J and Matheny T A 1989 Soybean seedling growth responses to light reflected from different colored soil surfaces. Crop Sci. 29, 130–133.
- Kasperbauer M J 1971 Spectral distribution of light in a tobacco canopy and effects of end-of-day light quality on growth and development. Plant Physiol. 47,775–778.
- Kasperbauer M J 1987 Far-red light reflection from green leaves and effects of phytochrome-mediated partitioning under field conditions. Plant Physiol. 85,350–354
- Kasperbauer M J 1988 Phytochrome involvement in regulation of the photosynthetic apparatus and plant adaptation. Plant Physiol. Biochem. 26, 519–524.
- Kasperbauer M J, Borthwick H A and Hendricks S B 1964 Reversion of phytochrome 730 (Pfr) to P660 (Pr) inChenopodium rubrum. Bot. Gaz. 125,85–90.
- Kasperbauer M J and Hunt P G 1987 Soil color and surface residue effects on seedling light environment. Plant and Soil 97,295–298.
- Kasperbauer M J and Hunt P G 1992 Cotton seedling morphogenic responses to FR/R ratio reflected from different colored soils and soil covers. Photochem. Photobiol. 56,576–584.
- Kasperbauer M J, Hunt P G and Sojka R E 1984 Photosynthate partitioning and nodule formation in soybean plants that received red or far-red light at the end of the photosynthetic period. Physiol. Plant. 61,549–554.
- Kaul K and Kasperbauer M J 1988 Row orientation effects on FR/R light ratio, growth and development of field-grown bush bean. Physiol. Plant. 74,415–417.
- Shoot/root assimilate allocation and nodulation ofVigna unguiculata seedlings as influenced by shoot light environment
Plant and Soil
Volume 161, Issue 1 , pp 97-101
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- photosynthate partitioning
- reflected light
- Industry Sectors