Reduction in omega-3 fatty acids by UV-B irradiation in microalgae
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
UV-B irradiation reduced the levels of omega-3 fatty acid, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA, 20:5ω3) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA, 22:6ω3), in microalgae; the degree of reduction varied with species.Chaetoceros calcitrans andSkeletonema costatum were high UV-B tolerant species, followed byPhaeodactylum tricornutum, Chroomonas salina, Pavlova lutheri, andThalassiosira pseudonana.Isochrysis galbana (T.ISO) andProrocentrum micans were UV- B sensitive. Cells in logarithmic phase were most sensitive to UV- B irradiation. Nitrate-, phosphate-, or sulphate-starved cells were more UV-B sensitive than non-starved cells grown in a complete basal medium. A relatively short exposure to high UV-B was more damaging than a longer exposure to lower irradiance. Visible light intensity levels had a profound impact on the sensitivity of microalgal cultures to UV-B, with high levels decreasing UV-B dependent damage. Addition of polyamines (putrescine, spermidine or spermine) or an amino acid (cysteine) to the culture medium minimized the reduction of omega-3 fatty acid content in microalgae caused by UV-B irradiation.
- Behrenfeld MJ, Hardy JT Lee II H (1992) Chronic effects of ultraviolet-B radiation on growth and cell volume ofPhaeodactylum tricornutum (Bacillariophyceae) J. Phycol. 28: 757–760.
- Blumthaler M, Ambach W (1990) Indication of increasing solar ultra-violet-B radiation flux in alpine regions. Science 248: 206–208.
- Caldwell MM, Robberecht R, Flint SD (1983) Internal filters: prospects for UV-acclimation in higher plants. Physiol. Plant. 58: 445–450.
- Christie WW (1973) Lipid Analysis. Pergamon Press, Oxford, 338 pp.
- Decker EA, Hultin HO (1992) Lipid oxidation in muscle foods via redox ion, 3, In A.J. St. Angelo (ed). Lipid oxidation in food. American Chemical Society Symposium Series 500. Am. Chem. Soc. 33–54
- Folch J, Lees M, Sloan-Stanley GH (1957) A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipids from animal tissues. J. Biol. Chem. 226: 497–509.
- Gosgrove JP, Church DF, Pryor WA (1987) The kinetics of the autoxidation of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Lipids 22: 299–304.
- Green AE, Cross KR, Smith LA (1980) Improved analytical characterization of ultraviolet skylight. Photochem. Photobiol. 31: 59–65.
- Harris WS, Connor WE, McMurry MP (1983) The comparative reduction of the plasma lipids and lipoproteins by dietary polyunsaturated fats: salmon oil versus vegetable oils. Metabolism 32: 179–184.
- Heller SR, Milne GWA (1978) EPA/NIH Mass Spectral Data Base, Vol. 4, Molecular Weights 381–1674. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, D.C., 3439–3551
- Kanazawa A, Teshima SI, Kazuo O (1979) Relationship between essential fatty acid requirements of aquatic animals and the capacity for bioconversion of linolenic acid to highly unsaturated fatty acids. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 63B: 295–298.
- Karentz D, Cleaver JE, Mitchell DL (1991) Cell survival characteristics and molecular responses of Antarctic phytoplankton to ultraviolet-B radiation. J. Phycol. 27: 326–341.
- Kates M (1972) Techniques of lipidology: isolation, analysis and identification of lipids. Elsevier, N.Y.: 362–364.
- Kerr JB, McElroy CT (1993) Evidence for large upward trends of ultraviolet-B radiation linked to ozone depletion. Science 262: 1032–1034.
- Kinsella JE (1989) Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids, eicosanoids and chronic diseases. Contemporary Nutr. Vol. 14, No. 1 . General Mills, Inc
- Kramer GF, Norman HA, Krizek DT, Mirecki RM (1991) Influence of UV-B radiation on polyamines, lipid peroxidation and membrane lipids in cucumber. Photochemistry 30: 2102–2108.
- Krizek DT, Mirecki RM, Philbeck RB, Booker FL (1990) An improved lamp/filter system for use in UV enhancement studies under greenhouse and field conditions. In: Payer HD, Pfirrmann T, Madhy P (eds), Environmental research with plants in closed chambers. Air Pollution Research Report No. 26 Commission of the European Community: 271–278
- Leaf A, Weber PC (1988) Medical progress, cardiovascular effects of n-6 fatty acids. N. Engl. J. Med. 318: 549–557.
- Meade J, (1986) Nutritional breakthrough of the 80's: omega- 3. Prevention. July 1986
- Sargent J, Henderson RJ, Tocher DR (1989) The lipids. In: Halver JE (ed.), Fish nutrition. Academic Press, New York: 154–218.
- Thompson PA, Harrison PJ, Whyte JNC (1990) Influence of irradiance on the fatty acid composition of phytoplankton. J. Phycol. 26: 278–288.
- Thompson PA, Guo M, Harrison PJ, Whyte JNC (1992) Effects of variation in temperature. II. On the fatty acid composition of eight species of marine phytoplankton. J. Phycol. 28: 488–497.
- Tuncer H, Harrell RM, Chai T (1993) Quantitative n-3 HUFA requirements of larval palmetto bass (Morone saxatilis ×M. Chrysops). Aquaculture 110: 341–359.
- Reduction in omega-3 fatty acids by UV-B irradiation in microalgae
Journal of Applied Phycology
Volume 6, Issue 4 , pp 415-422
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- fatty acids
- eicosapentaenoic acid
- docosahexaenoic acid
- UV-B irradiation
- Industry Sectors