Performance of some forest tree species in saline soils under shallow and saline water-table conditions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Field studies were carried out to study the influence of seasonal variations in salinity and soil moisture profiles due to fluctuating water table on the performance of 16 tree species. Over a yearly cycle water table having an EC of 2–46 mmhos/cm fluctuated between 10–140 cm from the surface. Seasonal variation in salinity profiles indicated that subsurface planting (30 cm below surface) provides less hostile saline environment to the roots. Due to genetic differences, species of trees differed in their ability to withstand salinity and aeration stresses individually and simultaneously. In areas where salinity is not associated with high water table conditions, tree species likeAcacia auriculiformis, Terminalia arjuna andLeucaena leucocephala can be grown. Tree species likeCasuarina equisetifolia Tamarix articulata andProsopis juliflora can be planted where high salinity or high water table conditions exist separately or simultaneously. If planting occurs on ridges,Acacia auriculiformis, Acacia nilotica andTerminalia arjuna can also be grown in these conditions.
- Arar A 1975 Quality of water in relation to irrigation sandy soils. FAO Soils Bull. 25, 73–83.
- Ayers A D 1952 Seed germination as affected by soil moisture and salinity. Agron. J. 44, 82–84.
- Bangash S H 1977 Salt tolerance of forest tree species as determined by germination of seeds at different levels. Pakistan J. For. 93–97.
- Boyko H and Boyko E 1968 Plant growing with sea water and other saline waters in Israel and other countries.In Saline Irrigation for Agriculture and Forestry. Ed. H Boyko. Dr W Junk NV, The Hague, 85–92.
- Firmin R 1968 Forestry trials with highly saline or sea water in Kuwait.In Saline Irrigation for Agriculture and Forestry. Ed. H. Boyko. Dr W Junk NV, The Hague, 107–32.
- Gill H S and Abrol I P 1983 Casuarina a promising tree for sodic soils. Intensive Agriculture 21, 5–6.
- Gupta R K and Khosla B K 1982 Seasonal variations in salt and water content profiles in shallow and saline ground water table. Indian J. agric. Sci. 52, 506–510.
- Jackson E A, Blackburn G and Clarke A R P 1956 Seasonal changes in soil salinity at Tintinare, South Australia. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 7, 20–44. CrossRef
- Khosla B K, Gupta R K and Chawla K L 1980 Evaluating the field hydraulic conductivity and soils salinization under conditions of high water table. Intern. Symp. Salt affected soils, Karnal 256–264.
- Lopez G 1968 Germination capacity of seeds in saline soils.In Saline Irrigation for Agriculture and Forestry. Ed. H. Boyko. Dr W Junk NV, The Hague. 11–23.
- Robinson T W 1958 Phreatophytes US Geol. Survey water supply Papers, 1423, 84 pp.
- Tomar O S and Yadav J S P 1980 Effect of saline irrigation water of varying EC, SAR and RSC levels on germination and seedling growth of some forest species. Indian J. For. 3, 306–314.
- Yadav J S P 1981 Soil limitations for successful establishment and growth of Casuarina plantations. Conference on Casuarina organized by C.S.I.R.O., Canberra, Australia 17–21 August.
- Performance of some forest tree species in saline soils under shallow and saline water-table conditions
Plant and Soil
Volume 87, Issue 3 , pp 329-335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Planting methods
- Survival percentage
- Water table
- Industry Sectors