The Pre-Linguistic Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Pre-Linguistic Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (PL-ADOS) is a semistructured observation scale designed for use as a diagnostic tool for children less than 6 years old who are not yet using phrase speech and are suspected of having autism. The PL-ADOS takes approximately 30 minutes to administer and is appropriate for use with this population because of its emphasis on playful interactions and the use of toys designed for young children. Reliability studies indicated that both individual activity ratings and summary ratings could be reliably scored from videotaped assessments by naive raters. Additionally, PL-ADOS scores of nonverbal preschool-aged children referred for clinical diagnosis and classified on the basis of a diagnostic team's clinical judgment, clearly discriminated between autistic and nonautistic developmentally disabled children. The resulting diagnostic algorithm is theoretically linked to diagnostic constructs associated with ICD-10 and DSM-IV criteria for autism.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Baron-Cohen, S. (1989). Perceptual role-taking and protodeclarative pointing in autism.British Journal of Developmental Psychology, 7, 113–127.
- Baron-Cohen, S., Allen, J., & Gillberg, C. (1992). Can autism be detected at 18 months? The needle, the haystack, and the CHAT.British Journal of Psychiatry, 161, 839–843.
- Bartko, J. J. (1976). On various intraclass correlation reliability coefficients.Psychological Bulletin, 83, 762–765.
- Bayley, N. (1969).Manual for the Bayley Scales of Infant Development. New York: Psychological Corp.
- Capps, L., Sigman, M., & Mundy, P. (1994). Attachment security in children with autism.Development and Psychopathology, 6, 249–261.
- Cicchetti, D. V., & Sparrow, S. A. (1981). Developing criteria for establishing interrater reliability of specific items: Applications to assessment of adaptive behavior.American Journal of Mental Deficiency, 86, 127–137.
- Conger, A. J. (1980). Integration and generalization of kappa for multiple raters.Psychological Bulletin, 88, 322–328.
- Dawson, G., & Adams, A. (1984). Imitation and social responsiveness in autistic children.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 12, 209–226.
- Elliott, C. D. (1990).The Differential Abilities Scale: Introductory and technical handbook. San Antonio, TX: Psychological Corp.
- Gillberg, C., Ehlers, S., Schaumann, H., Jakobsson, G., Dahlgren, S. O., Lindblom, R., Bagenholm, A., Tjuus, T., & Blidner, E. (1990). Autism under age 3 years: A clinical study of 28 cases referred for autistic symptom in infancy.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 31, 921–934.
- Hedrick, D. L., Prather, E. M., & Tobin, A. R. (1984).Sequenced inventory of communication development. Seattle: University of Washington Press.
- Kanner, L. (1943). Autistic disturbances of affective contact.Nervous Child, 2, 217–250.
- Le Couteur, A., Rutter, M., Lord, C., Rios, P., Robertson, S., Holdgrafer, M., & McLennan, J. D. (1989). Autism Diagnostic Interview: A semi-structured interview for parents and caregivers of autistic persons.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 363–387.
- Lord, C. (1991). Methods and measures of behavior in the diagnosis of autism and related disorders.Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 14, 69–80.
- Lord, C. (1994).Follow-up of two year-olds referred for possible autism. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., Goode, S., Heemsbergen, J., Jordan, H., Mawhood, L., & Schopler, E. (1989). Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule: A standardized observation of communicative and social behavior.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 185–212.
- Lord, C., Rutter, M., & Le Couteur, A. (1994). Autism Diagnostic Interview-Revised: A revised version of a diagnostic interview for caregivers of individuals with possible pervasive developmental disorders.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 24, 659–686.
- Lord, C., & Schopler, E. (1993). TEACCH services for preschool children. In S. L. Harris & J. S. Handelman (Eds.),Preschool education programs for children with autism (pp. 87–106). Austin, Texas: Pro-Ed.
- Lord, C., Storoschuk, S., Rutter, M., & Pickles, A. (1993). Using the ADI-R to diagnose autism in preschool children.Infant Mental Health Journal, 14, 234–252.
- Loveland, K., & Landry, S. (1986). Joint attention and language in autism and developmental language delay.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 16, 335–349.
- Mullen, E. (1989).Mullen Scales of Early Learning. Cranston, RI: T.O.T.A.L. Child.
- Mundy, P., Sigman, M., Ungerer, J., & Shennan, T. (1986). Defining the social deficits of autism: The contribution of nonverbal communication measures.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 27, 657–669.
- Murray, H. A. (1938).Explorations in personality. New York: Oxford.
- Rogers, S. J., Ozonoff, M. A., & Maslin-Cole, C. (1991). A comparative study of attachment behavior in young children with autism or other psychiatric disorders.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 30, 483–488.
- Rogers, S. J., & Pennington, B. F., (1991). A theoretical approach to the deficits in infantile autism.Development and Psychopathology, 3, 137–162.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., & Renner, B. R. (1986).The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS) for diagnostic screening and classification of autism. New York: Irvington.
- Seibert, J. M., & Hogan, A. E. (1982).Procedures Manual for the Early Social-Communication Scales (ESCS). Miami, FL: Mailman Center for Child Development.
- Sigman, M. D., Kasari, C., Kwon, J., & Yirmiya, N. (1992). Responses to negative emotions of others by autistic, mentally retarded, and normal children.Child Development, 63, 796–807.
- Sigman, M., & Mundy, P. (1989). Social attachments in autistic children.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 28, 74–81.
- Sigman, M., Mundy, P., Sherman, T., & Ungerer, J. (1986). Social interactions of autistic, mentally retarded and normal children and their caregivers.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 27, 647–656.
- Sigman, M., & Ungerer, J. (1984). Attachment behaviors in autistic children.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 14, 231–244.
- Sparrow, S., Balla, D., & Cicchetti, D. (1984).Vineland Adaptive Behavior Scales. Circle Pines, MN: American Guidance Service.
- Stone, W. L., & Hogan, K. L. (1993). A structured parent interview for identifying young children with autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 23, 639–652.
- Stutsman, R. (1931). Guide for administering the Merrill-Palmer Scale of Mental Tests. In L. M. Terman (Ed.),Mental measurement of preschool children (pp. 139–262). New York: Harcourt, Brace & World.
- Swettenham, J., Baron-Cohen, S., Cox, A., Baird, G., Drew, A., & Charman, T. (1994, June).An epidemiological study of autism at 18 months of age. Presented at International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Thal, D., Bates, E., & Bellugi, U. (1989). Language and cognition in two children with Williams syndrome.Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 32, 489–500.
- Ungerer, J. A., & Sigman, M. (1981). Symbolic play and language comprehension in autistic children.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 20, 318–337.
- Volkmar, F. R., Klin, A., Siegal, B., Szatmari, P., Lord, C., Cicchetti, D. V., & Rutter, M. (1993). DSM-IV autism⧄rvasive development disorder field trial final report. In A. Frances (Ed.),DSM-IV sourcebook. New York: American Psychiatric Association.
- Wetherby, A. M., & Prizant, B. M. (1990).Communication and Symbolic Behavior Scales. San Antonio, TX: Special Press.
- Wetherby, A. M., & Prutting, C. A. (1984). Profiles of communicative and cognitive-social abilities in autistic children.Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 27, 364–377.
- World Health Organization (1993).ICD-10 1986 draft of chapter 5 categories F00-F99. Mental, behavioral and developmental disorders. Geneva: Author.
- The Pre-Linguistic Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 25, Issue 4 , pp 355-379
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors