Assessing the functions of aberrant behaviors: A review of psychometric instruments
- Peter Sturmey
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Reviewed the psychometric properties, treatment utility, and conceptual basis of psychometric instruments used to identify the functions of aberrant behaviors in people with developmental disabilities. The instruments reviewed are the Motivational Assessment Scale (Durand & Crimmins, 1992), the Motivation Analysis Rating Scale (Weisheler, Hanson, Chamberlain, & Thompson, 1985), the Functional Analysis Interview Form (O'Neill, Horner, Albin, Storey, & Sprague, 1990), and the Functional Analysis Checklist (Van Houten & Rolider, 1991). Recurrent problems in this area include the lack of replicability of the reliability of these instruments, difficulties in summarizing the information from these assessment devices, difficulties in translating the assessment into treatment packages, strong individual differences in the functions of behavior problems, and, finally, issues relating to the concurrent validity, both across these instruments and across other assessment methods.
- Baer, D. M., Wolf M. M., & Risley, T. R. (1968). Some current dimensions of applied behavior analysis.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 1, 91–97.
- Bihm, E. M., Kienlen, T. L., Ness, M. E., & Poindexter, A. R. (1991). Factor structure of the Motivational Assessment Scale for persons with mental retardation.Psychological Reports, 68, 1235–1238.
- Carr, E. G. (1977). The motivation of self-injurious behavior: a review of some hypotheses.Psychological Bulletin, 84, 800–816.
- Crawford, J., Brockel, B., Schauss, S., & Miltenberger, R. G. (1992). A comparison of methods for the functional assessment of stereotyped behavior in persons with mental retardation.Journal of the Association for Persons with Severe Handicaps, 17, 77–86.
- Durand, V. M., & Crimmins, D. B. (1988). Identifying the variables maintaining self-injurious behavior.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 99–117.
- Durand, V. M., & Crimmins, D. B. (1992).The Motivation Assessment Scale (MAS) administration guide. Topeka, KS: Monaco & Associates.
- Durand, V. M., Crimmins, D. B., Caulfield, M., & Taylor, J. (1989). Reinforcer assessment I: Using problem behaviors to select reinforcers.Journal of the Association of Persons with Severe Handicaps, 14, 113–126.
- Goza, A. B., & Ricketts, R. W. (1993, May).The Motivational Assessment Scale: Analysis of inter-rater and test-retest reliability. Paper presented to the annual meeting of the Association for Behavior Analysis-International, Chicago.
- Iwata, B. A., Dorsey, M. F., Slifer, K. J., Bauman, K. E., & Richman, G. S. (1982). Toward a functional analysis of self-injury.Analysis and Intervention in Developmental Disabilities, 2, 3–20.
- Iwata, B. A., Vollmar, T. R., & Zarcone, J. R. (1990). The experimental (functional) analysis of behavior disorders. In A. C. Repp & N. N. Singh. (Eds.),Perspectives on the use of aversive and non aversive interventions for persons with developmental disabilities (pp. 301–330). Sycamore, IL: Sycamore.
- Kearney, C. A., & Silverman, W. K. (1990). A preliminary analysis of a functional analysis model of school refusal behavior.Behavior Modification, 14, 340–366.
- Newton T., & Sturmey, P. (1991). The Motivation Assessment Scale: Inter-rater reliability and internal consistency in a British sample.Journal of Intellectual Disabilities Research, 35, 372–374.
- Oliver, C. (1991). The application of analogue methodology to the functional analysis of challenging behavior. In B. Remington (Ed.),The challenge of severe mental handicap. A behavior analytic approach (pp. 97–117). New York: Wiley.
- O'Neill, R. E., Horner, R. H., Albin, R. W., Storey, K., & Sprague, J. R. (1990).Functional analysis of problem behavior. A practical assessment guide. Sycamore, IL: Sycamore.
- Pyles, D. A., & Bailey, J. S. (1990). Diagnosing severe behavior problems. In A. C. Repp & N. N. Singh. (Eds.),Perspectives on the use of aversive and nonaversive interventions for persons with developmental disabilities (pp. 301–330). Sycamore, IL: Sycamore.
- Repp, A. C., Felce, D., & Barton, L. E. (1988). Basing treatment of stereotypic and self-injurious behaviors on hypotheses of their causes.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 21, 281–289.
- Singh, N. N., Donatelli, L. S., Best, A., Williams, E. E., Barrera, F. J., Lenz, M. W., Landrum, T. J., Ellis, C. R., & Moe, T. L. (1993). Factor structure of the Motivation Assessment Scale.Journal of Intellectual Disabilities Research, 37, 65–73.
- Sturmey, P. (1991). Assessing challenging behavior using semi-structured behavioral interviews: A case transcript.Mental Handicap, 19, 56–90.
- Sturmey, P., & Bertman, L. J. (1993, May).The Functional Analysis Checklist: Interrater and test-retest reliability. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the Association for Behavior Analysis-International, Chicago.
- Sturmey, P., Woods, D., & Crisp, A. G. (1991). Validation of the Pethna toy through changes in collateral behaviors.Journal of Mental Deficiency Research, 35, 459–471.
- Van Houten, R., & Rolider, A. (1991). Applied behavior analysis. In J. L. Matson & J. A. Mulick (Eds.),Handbook of mental retardation (2nd ed., pp. 569–585). New York: Pergamon.
- Wahler, R. G. (1975). Some structural aspects of deviant child behavior.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 8, 27–42.
- Weiseler, N. A., Hanson, R. H., Chamberlain, T. P., & Thompson, T. (1985). Functional taxonomy of stereotypic and self-injurious behavior.Mental Retardation, 23, 230–234.
- Zarcone, J. R., Rodgers, T. A., Iwata, B. A., Rourke, D. A., & Dorsey, M. F. (1991). Reliability analysis of the Motivation Assessment Scale.Research in Developmental Disabilities, 12, 349–360.
- Assessing the functions of aberrant behaviors: A review of psychometric instruments
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 293-304
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Peter Sturmey (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Abilene State School, USA