Early recognition of children with autism: A study of first birthday home videotapes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Coded home videotapes of 11 autistic and 11 normally developing children's first year birthday parties for social, affective, joint attention, and communicative behaviors and for specific autistic symptoms. Autistic children displayed significantly fewer social and joint attention behaviors and significantly more autistic symptoms. In combination, four behaviors correctly classified 10 of 11 autistic children and 10 of 11 normal children. These behaviors consisted of pointing, showing objects, looking at others, and orienting to name.
- Adrien, J. L., Faure, M., Perrot, A., Hameury, L., Garreau, B., Barthelemy, C., & Sauvage, D. (1991). Autism and family home movies: Preliminary findings.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 21, 43–49.
- Adrien, J. L., Perrot, A., Sauvage, D., Leddet, I., Larmande, C., Hameury, L., & Barthelemy, C. (1992). Early symptoms in autism from family home movies.Acta Paedopsychiatrica, 55, 71–75.
- Dahlgren, S. O., & Gillberg, C. (1989). Symptoms in the first two years of life: A preliminary population study of infantile autism.European Archives of Psychiatry and Neurological Sciences, 238, 169–174.
- Losche, G. (1990). Sensorimotor and action development in autistic children from infancy to early childhood.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 31, 749–761.
- Massie, H. N. (1975). The early natural history of childhood psychosis.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 14, 683–707.
- Massie, H. N. (1977). Patterns of mother-infant behavior and subsequent childhood psychosis: A research and case report.Child Psychiatry and Human Development, 7, 211–230.
- Massie, H. N. (1978). Blind ratings of mother-infant interaction in home movies of prepsychotic and normal infants.American Journal of Psychiatry, 135, 1371–1374.
- Ornitz, E. M., Guthrie, D., & Farley, A. H. (1977). The early development of autistic children.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 7, 207–229.
- Rosenthal, J., Massie, H. N., & Wulff, K. (1980). A comparison of cognitive development in normal and psychotic children in the first two years of life from home movies.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 10, 433–443.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., DeVellis, R. F., & Daly, K. (1980). Toward objective classification of childhood autism: Childhood autism rating scale (CARS).Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 10, 91–103.
- Siegel, B. Pliner, C. Eschler, J., & Elliot, G. R. (1988). How children with autism are diagnosed: Difficulties in identification of children with multiple developmental delays.Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics, 9(4), 199–204.
- Early recognition of children with autism: A study of first birthday home videotapes
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 24, Issue 3 , pp 247-257
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors