Linear self-adjoint multipoint boundary value problems and related approximation schemes
- Joseph W. Jerome
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Linear self-adjoint multipoint boundary value problems are investigated. The case of the homogeneous equation is shown to lead to spline solutions, which are then utilized to construct a Green's function for the case of homogeneous boundary conditions. An approximation scheme is described in terms of the eigen-functions of the inverse of the Green's operator and is shown to be optimal in the sense of then-widths of Kolmogorov. Convergence rates are given and generalizations to more general boundary value problems are discussed.
- Agmon, S.: Lectures on elliptic boundary value problems. Princeton: Van Nostrand 1965.
- Babuska, I., Prager, M., Vitasek, E.: Numerical processes in differential processes in differential equations. London: Interscience, Wiley 1966.
- Golomb, M., Jerome, J.: Ordinary differential equations with boundary conditions on arbitrary point sets (to appear), TAMS.
- Grisvard, P.: Characterisation de quelques espaces d'interpolation. Arch. Rat. Mech. Anal.25, 40–63 (1967).
- Halperin, I.: Introduction to the theory of distributions. Toronto: University of Toronto Press 1952.
- Jerome, J.: On the ℒ2 n-width of certain classes of functions of several variables. J. Math. Anal. Appl.20, 110–123 (1967)
- —— Onn-widths in Sobolev spaces and applications to elliptic boundary value problems. J. Math. Anal. Appl.29, 201–215 (1970).
- ——, Schumaker, L.: OnLg splines. J. Approx. Th.2, 29–49 (1969).
- Lorentz, G.: Approximation of functions. New York: Holt 1966.
- Riesz, F., Sz.-Nagy, B.: Functional analysis. New York: Ungar 1955
- Zettl, A.: Adjoint and self-Adoint boundary value problems with interface conditions. M.R.C. Technical Summary Report 827, Madison, Wisconsin, 1967.
- Linear self-adjoint multipoint boundary value problems and related approximation schemes
Volume 15, Issue 5 , pp 433-449
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Joseph W. Jerome (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics, Northwestern University, 60201, Evanston, Illinois, USA