From open ponds to vertical alveolar panels: the Italian experience in the development of reactors for the mass cultivation of phototrophic microorganisms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The need to develop new concepts in reactor design and the growing interest inSpirulina prompted our group to abandon open ponds in the seventies and to focus interest mainly on closed systems. Two substantially different closed photobioreactors have been developed and are at present under investigation in our Research Centre: the tubular photobioreactor (made of rigid or collapsible tubes) and the recently devised vertical alveolar panel (VAP) made of 1.6-cm-thick Plexiglas alveolar sheets.
The technical characteristics of the two systems are described and discussed in relation to the main factors which regulate the growth of oxygenic photosynthetic microorganisms in closed reactors.
- Benemann JR (1989) The future of microalgal biotechnology. In Cresswell RC, Rees TAV, Shah N (eds), Algal and Cyanobacterial Biotechnology. Longman Scientific & Technical Press, Harlow, 317–337.
- Borowitzka LJ, Borowitzka MA (1989) Industrial production: methods and economics. In Cresswell RC, Rees TAV, Shah N (eds), Algal and Cyanobacterial Biotechnology. Longman Scientific & Technical Press, Harlow, 295–316.
- Chaumont D, Thepenier C, Gudin C, Junjas C (1988) Scaling up a tubular photoreactor for continuous culture ofPorphyridium cruentum. From laboratory to pilot plant (1981–1987) In Stadler T, Mollion J, Verdus MC, Karamanos Y, Morvan H, Christiaen D (eds), Algal Biotechnology. Elsevier Applied Science, London, 199–208.
- Cohen E, (Malis)Arad S (1989) A closed system for outdoor cultivation ofPorphyridium. Biomass 18: 59–67.
- Cook PM (1950) Large-scale culture ofChlorella. In Brunel J, Prescott GW, Tiffany LH (eds), The Culturing of Algae. The Charles F. Kettering Foundation, 53–75.
- Fisher AW (1956) Engineering for algae culture. In Proceedings of the World Symposium on Applied Solar Energy. Stanford Research Institute, Menlo Park (California), 243–253.
- Gudin C, Thepenier C, Chaumont D, Berson X (1988) Bioreactors. In Ramus J, Jones MC (eds), Polysaccharides from Microalgae: a New Agroindustry, Duke University Marine Laboratory, Beaufort, 133–141.
- Lee YK (1986) Enclosed bioreactors for the mass cultivation of photosynthetic microorganisms: the future trend. Trends in Biotechnol. 4(7): 186–189.
- Materassi R, Balloni W, Pushparaj B, Pelosi E, Sili C (1981) Coltura massiva diSpirulina in sistemi colturali aperti. In Materassi R (ed.), Atti del Convegno ‘Prospettive della Coltura di Spirulina in Italia’. CNR, Roma, 241–260.
- Materassi R, Tredici MR, Milicia F, Sili C, Pelosi E, Vincenzini M, Torzillo G, Balloni W, Florenzano G, Wagener K (1984) Development of a production size system for the mass culture of marine microalgae. In Palz W, Pirrwitz D (eds), Energy from Biomass, Series E, Vol. 5, D. Reidel Publishing Company, Dordrecht, 150–158.
- Miyamoto K, Wable O, Benemann JR (1988) Vertical tubular reactor for microalgae cultivation. Biotechnology Letters 10: 703–708.
- Pirt SJ, Lee YK, Walach MR, Pirt MW, Balyuzi HHM, Bazin MJ (1983) A tubular bioreactor for photosynthetic production of biomass from carbon dioxide: design and performance. J. Chem. Techn. Biotechnol. 33B: 35–58.
- Richmond A (1987) The challenge confronting industrial microagriculture: high photosynthetic efficiency in large-scale reactors. Hydrobiologia 151/152: 117–121.
- Richmond A (1990) Large scale microalgal culture and applications. In Round FE, Chapman DJ (eds), Progress in Phycological Research Vol. 7. Biopress Ltd, Bristol, 269–330.
- Richmond A, Lichtenberg E, Stahl B, Vonshak A (1990) Quantitative assessment of the major limitations on productivity ofSpirulina platensis in open raceways. J. appl. Phycol. 2: 195–206.
- Tomaselli L, Giovannetti L, Sacchi A, Bocci F (1988) Effects of temperature on growth and biochemical composition inSpirulina platensis strain M2. In Stadler T, Mollion J, Verdus M-C, Karamanos Y, Morvan H, Christiaen D (eds), Algal Biotechnology. Elsevier Applied Science, London, 305–314.
- Torzillo G, Pushparaj B, Bocci F, Balloni W, Materassi R, Florenzano G (1986) Production ofSpirulina biomass in closed photobioreactors. Biomass 11: 61–74.
- Tredici MR, Carlozzi P, Chini Zittelli G, Materassi R (1991) A vertical alveolar panel (VAP) for outdoor mass cultivation of microalgae and cyanobacteria. Bioresource Technology 38: 153–159.
- Weissman JC, Goebel RP, Benemann JR (1988) Photobioreactor design: mixing, carbon utilization, and oxygen accumulation. Biotech. Bioengng 31: 336–344.
- From open ponds to vertical alveolar panels: the Italian experience in the development of reactors for the mass cultivation of phototrophic microorganisms
Journal of Applied Phycology
Volume 4, Issue 3 , pp 221-231
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- microalgal mass culture
- tubular photobioreactor
- vertical alveolar panel (VAP)
- Industry Sectors