Wilhelm Reich in the alternative therapies and clinical social work
- Louis Hochberg
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper raises questions concerning the use of Wilhelm Reich's discoveries in the alternative therapies as they impinge on clinical social work. Clinical social workers use Reich's theoretical concepts and treatment techniques that come to them second-hand from the alternative therapies. Social work graduate schools appear not to recommend him to students. Reich's theoretical and treatment concepts concerning body or muscular armor and its three-layered structure are discussed. “Red” and “black” fascism is related to the secondary layer in discussion of the sociopolitical character. Questions related to orgonomic counseling for social workers are raised and recommendations made for social work to open channels of communication with the American College of Orgonomy.
- Baker, E. F.Man in the trap. New York: Macmillan Co., Inc., 1967.
- Koopman, B. G. The rise of the psychopath.Journal of Orgonomy, 19737(2), 40–58.
- Koopman, B. G. The psychedelic trip-bummer or beatitude?Journal of Orgonomy, 1975,9(1), 54.
- Levine, H. S. The culture of fascism.The Nation, 1974,219(4), 103–110.
- Mathews, P. A functional understanding of the modern liberal character.Journal of Orgonomy, 1967,1(1), 138–148.
- Mathews, P. The biological miscalculation and contemporary problems of man.Journal of Orgonomy, 1970,4(2), 111–125.
- Mathews, P. The sociopolitical diathesis.Journal of Orgonomy, 1974,8(2), 204–215.
- Mathews, P. The mechanisms of the emotional plague.Journal of Orgonomy, 1975,9(2), 206–218.
- Oller, C. I. Orgone therapy of frigidity.Orgone Energy Bulletin, 19502(4), 210–212.
- Pascoe, W. Education for clinical practice.Clinical Social Work Journal, 1975,3(1), 46–54.
- Raknes, O.Wilhelm Reich and Orgonomy. Baltimore: Penguin Books, 1971.
- Reich, W.The mass psychology of fascism, 3rd ed. New York: Orgone Institute Press, 1946.
- Reich, W.The discovery of the orgone, Vol. 1, The function of the orgasm, 2nd ed. New York: Orgone Institute Press, 1948.
- Reich, W.Character analysis, 3rd ed. New York: Orgone Institute Press., 1949.
- Reich, W. The biological miscalculation in the human struggle for freedom.Journal of Orgonomy, 1975 (1 and 2), 1–26 and 134–144.
- Tompkins, C. Profiles-new paradigms.The New Yorker, January 5, 1976, 30–51.
- Wolfe, T. P. The sex-economic concept of psychosomatic identity and antithesis.Journal of Orgonomy, 1970,4(1), 31–61.
- Wilhelm Reich in the alternative therapies and clinical social work
Clinical Social Work Journal
Volume 5, Issue 2 , pp 99-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Louis Hochberg (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 1000 Marin Street, 94590, Vallejo, California