Mesh selection for stiff two-point boundary value problems
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper is concerned with the mesh selection algorithm of COLSYS, a well known collocation code for solving systems of boundary value problems. COLSYS was originally designed to solve non-stiff and mildly stiff problems only. In this paper we show that its performance for solving extremely stiff problems can be considerably improved by modifying its error estimation and mesh selection algorithms. Numerical examples indicate the superiority of the modified algorithm.
- U. Ascher, J. Christiansen and R.D. Russell, Collocation software for boundary-value odes, ACM Trans. Math Software 7 (1981) 209–222.
- U. Ascher, J. Christiansen and R.D. Russell, COLSYS — A collocation code for boundary-value problems, in:Codes for Boundary Value Problems in Ordinary Differential Equations, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 76 (Springer, Berlin, 1979).
- U. Ascher and S. Jacobs, On collocation implementation for singularly perturbed two-point problems, SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comp. 19 (1989) 533–549.
- U. Ascher, R. Mattheij and R.D. Russell,Numerical Solution of Boundary Value Problems for Ordinary Differential Equations (Prentice-Hall, 1988) chapter 9.
- U. Ascher, R. Mattheij and R.D. Russell,Numerical Solution of Boundary Value Problems for Ordinary Differential Equations (Prentice-Hall, 1988) chapter 10.
- G. Bader and U. Ascher, A new basis implementation for a mixed order boundary value ODE solver, SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comp. 8 (1987) 483–500.
- G. Bader and P. Kunkel, Continuation and collocation for parameter dependent BVPs, SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comp. 10 (1989) 72–88.
- E.J. Doedel and J.P. Kernevez, AUTO, software for continuation and bifurcation problems in ordinary differential equations, Tech. Rep., Appl. Math., California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA (1986).
- E.J. Doedel, AUTO: a program for the automatic bifurcation analysis of autonomous systems, Congr. Numer. 30 (1981) 265–284.
- P.W. Hemker, A numerical study of stiff two point boundary value problems, Tech. Report 80, Math. Centrum, Amsterdam (1977).
- J. Kautsky and N.K. Nichols, Equidistributing meshes with constraints, SIAM J. Sci. Stat. Comp. 1 (1980) 499–511.
- R.D. Russell and J. Christiansen, Adaptive mesh selection strategies for solving boundary value problems, SIAM J. Number. Anal. 15 (1978) 59–80.
- R. Seydel, Tutorial on continuation, Int. J. Bifurcation and Chaos 1 (1991) 3–11.
- A. White, On selection of equidistributing meshes for two point-boundary value problems, SIAM J. Number. Anal. 16 (1979) 472–502.
- Mesh selection for stiff two-point boundary value problems
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 205-224
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors