The ecology of adolescent activity and experience
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Twenty-five adolescents reported their daily activities and the quality of their experiences for a total of 753 times during a normal week, in response to random beeps transmitted by an electronic paging device. In this sample adolescents were found to spend most of their time either in conversation with peers or in watching television. Negative affects were prevalent in most activities involving socialization into adult roles. Television viewing appears to be an affectless state associated with deviant behavior and antisocial personality traits. The research suggests the importance of a systemic approach which studies persons' activities and experiences in an ecological context. The experiential sampling method described in this paper provides a tool for collecting such systemic data.
- Bakan, P. (ed.) (1966).Attention. Van Nostrand, New York
- Blos, P. (1962).On Adolescence. Collier-Macmillan, London.
- Brim, O. G., Jr. (1968). Adult socialization. In Clausen, J. A. (ed.),Socialization and Society. Little, Brown, Boston, pp. 270–320.
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1970).Two Worlds of Childhood. Basic Books, New York.
- Cleckey, H. (1955),The Mask of Sanity. Mosby, St. Louis.
- Coleman, J. (1974).Relationships in Adolescence. Routledge & Kegan, London.
- Coleman, J. C. (1974).Youth: Transition to Adulthood. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- Csikszentmihalyi, M. (1975).Beyond Boredom and Anxiety. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Douvan, E., and Adelson, J. (1966).The Adolescent Experience. Wiley, New York.
- Dunphy, D. C. (1963). The social structure of urban adolescent peer groups.Sociometry, 26:230–246.
- Henry, J. (1963).Culture against Man. Random House, New York.
- Jackson, D. N.Personality Research Form. Research Psychologists Press, Goshen, N.Y., 1965.
- Lykken, D. (1957). A study of anxiety in the sociopathic personality.J. Abnorm. Soc. Psychol. 55: 5–10.
- Maddi, S., Kobasa, S. and Hoover, M. (1976). The Alienation-Commitment Test: Reliability and validity. Unpublished manuscript, The University of Chicago.
- Offer, D. (1969). (The Psychological World of the Teenager.
- Offer, D. (1969).The Psychological World of the Teenager. Basic Books, New York.
- Piaget, J. (1965).The Moral Judgment of the Child. Macmillan, New York.
- Prescott, S., Csikszentmihalyi, M., and Graef, R. (1976). Environmental effects on cognitive and affective states: The experiental sampling approach. Unpublished manuscript, the University of Chicago.
- Sherif, M., and Sherif, C. (1972).Reference groups. Regnery, Chicago.
- Short, J., and Nye, I. (1958). Extent of unrecorded delinquency: Tentative conclusions.J. Crim. Law. Criminol. Police Sci. 49: 296–302.
- Smith, B. (1968). Competence and socialization. In Clausen, J. A. (ed.),Socialization and Society. Little, Brown, Boston.
- Szalai, A. (1972).The Uses of Time. Mouton, The Hague.
- The ecology of adolescent activity and experience
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 6, Issue 3 , pp 281-294
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links