Adolescent response to the death of a parent
- Ross E. Gray
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Participants in the present study, while between the ages of 12 and 19, had a parent die. The death had occurred not less than 6 months and not more than 5 years prior to psychological testing and interview. The effects of loss, as assessed by the Beck Depression Inventory and other measures, were considered in relation to a number of independent factors. Factors found to influence healthy adaptation included high levels of informal social support postloss, good relations with the surviving parent prior to loss, a balanced personality style, and presence of religious beliefs.
- Balk, D. (1983). Effects of sibling death on teenagers.J. School Hlth. 53: 14–18.
- Barrera, M. J. (1986). Distinctions between social support conceps, measures, and models.Am. J. Com. Psychol. 14: 413–445.
- Baxter, A. (1982). Bereavement support groups for secondary students.School Guid. Worker 38: 27–29.
- Beck, A. (1967).Depression: Clinical, Experimental, and Theoretical Aspects. Harper & Row, New York.
- Bowlby, J. (1980).Attachment and Loss, Vol. 3: Sadness and Depression. Hogarth Press, London.
- Breen, H. J. (1953).The differential diagnostic technique as a measure of hostility. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario.
- Cook, D. B. (1980).An exploratory study of the effects of maternal personality and language style upon mother-infant interaction. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Toronto.
- Dennehy, C. (1966). Childhood bereavement and psychiatric illness.Br. J. Psychiatr. 112: 1049–1069.
- Elizur, E., and Kaffman, M. (1983). Factors influencing the severity of childhood bereavement reactions.Am. J. Orthopsychiat. 53: 668–676.
- Elkind, D. (1967). Egocentrism in adolescence.Child Develop. 38: 1025–1034.
- Elkind, D., and Bowen, R. (1979). Imaginary audience behavior in children and adolescents.Develop. Psychol. 15: 38–44.
- Furman, E. (1974).A Child's Parent Dies. Yale University Press, New Haven, CT.
- Gottlieb, B. H. (1983). Social support strategies: Guidelines for mental health practice. Sage Publications, London.
- Gray, R. E. (1986). Strategies for facilitating death-related research in the schools.Dealth Studies 10: 369–377.
- Gray, R. E. (1987).Adolescents faced with the death of a parent. The role of social support and other factors. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Toronto.
- Gray, R. E. (in press). The role of school counselors with bereaved teenagers.School Couns.
- Gyra, J. C. (1982).The relationship of maternal personality factors to early maternal detachment behaviors to the infant. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Toronto.
- Kaplan, S. L., Hong, G. K., and Weinhold, C. (1984). Epidemiology of depressive symptomatology in adolescents.J. Am. Acad. Child Psychiatr. 23: 91–98.
- Klein, M. (1940). Mourning and its relation to manic depressive states.In. J. Psychoanal. 21: 123–153.
- Lifton, R. J. (1979).The Broken Connection. Simon & Schuster, New York.
- Lundin, T. (1984). Morbidity following sudden and unexpected bereavement.Br. J. Psychiat. 144: 84–88.
- Morris, M. L. (1984).A study of childhood depression with special emphasis on classroom behavior. Unpublished doctoral disseration, University of Toronto.
- North, S. L. (1953).The diagnostic efficiency of a drawing technique. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario.
- North, S. L. (1955).Development of and relationship between a psychological and physiological measure of hostility. Unpublished research report.
- Osterweis, M., Solomon, F., and Green, M. (1984).Bereavement: Reations, Consequences, and Care. National Academy Press, Washington, D. C.
- Parkes, C. M., and Weiss, R. S. (1983).Recovery from Bereavement. Basic Books, New York.
- Raphael, B. (1977). Preventive intervention with the recently bereaved.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 34: 1450–1454.
- Raphael, B. (1983).The Anatomy of Bereavement. Basic Books, New York.
- Saucier, J. B., and Ambert, A. M. (1983). Parental marital status and adolescents' health-risk behavior.Adolescence 13: 403–411.
- Smith, J. H. (1971). Identificatory styles in depression and grief.Int. J. Psychoanal. 52: 259–266.
- Strober, M., Green, J., and Carlson, G. (1981). Utility of the Beck Depression Inventory with psychiatrically hospitalized adolescents.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 49: 482–483.
- Vachon, M. L. S., Lyall, W. A. L., Rogers, J., Freedman-Leftofsky, K., and Freeman, S. J. J. (1980). A controlled study of self-help intervention for widows.Am. J. Psychiat. 137: 1380–1384.
- Van Eerdewegh, M. V., Biere, M. D., Parilla, P. H., and Clayton, P. J. (1982). The bereaved child.Br. J. Psychiat. 140: 23–29.
- Weininger, O. (1970). Children at the Browndale Residential Treatment Center: Their characteristics and potential for improvement.Involv. Monogr. 1–30.
- Weininger, O. (1986).The Differential Technique, a Visual-Motor Projective Test: Research and Clinical Work, Charles C. Thomas, Sprinfield, Il.
- Wolfenstein, M. (1966). How is mourning possible?Psychoanal. Study Child 21: 93–123.
- Adolescent response to the death of a parent
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 16, Issue 6 , pp 511-525
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Ross E. Gray (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sunnybrook Medical Center, 278 Indian Road, M6R 2X2, Toronto, Ontario, Canada