Older adolescents' thinking about academic/vocational and interpersonal commitments
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sixty-eight college students listed the factors they consider or would consider when making the following commitments: choosing courses, choosing a major, choosing a career, choosing a friend, choosing a romantic partner, and choosing a lifelong partner. In addition, subjects provided their own definition ofcommitment in an unstructured essay. Subjects listed more factors, more distinct types of factors, and more original factors for interpersonal commitments than for academic/vocational commitments. There were few gender differences found in these measures, contradicting the idea that men and women think differently about different commitments. In addition, few gender or class year differences were found in the themes present in the essay definingcommitment. Conceptions of commitment, as described in essays, predicted thinking about specific commitments only slightly.
- Applebaum, M. I., and McCall, R. B. (1983). Design and analysis in developmental psychology. In Kessen, W. (ed.),Handbook of Child Psychology (4th Ed.),Vol. 1:History, Theory and Methods. Wiley, New York.
- Baron, J. (1985).Rationality and Intelligence. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, England.
- Clinchy, B., and Zimmerman, C. (1982). Epistemology and agency in the development of undergraduate women. In Perun, P. (ed.),The Undergraduate Woman: Issues in Educational Equity. Lexington Books, Lexington, MA.
- Clinchy, B., Lief, J., and Young, P. (1977). Epistemological and moral development in girls from a traditional and a progressive high school.J. Educ. Psychol. 69: 337–343. CrossRef
- Erikson, E. H. (1968).Identity: Youth and Crisis. Norton, New York.
- Fischoff, B. (1975). Hindsight ≠ foresight: The effect of outcome knowledge on judgment under uncertainty.J. Exp. Psychol. Hum. Percep. Perform. 1: 288–299. CrossRef
- Gilligan, C. (1977). In a different voice.Harv. Educ. Rev. 47: 481–517.
- Gilligan, C. (1982).In a Different Voice. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Havighurst, R. J. (1972).Developmental Tasks and Education. McKay, New York.
- Leslie, L. A. (1986). The impact of adolescent females' assessments of parenthood and employment on plans for the future.J. Youth Adoles. 15: 29–49.
- Kahneman, D., and Tversky, A. (1973). On the psychology of prediction.Psychol. Rev. 80: 237–251.
- Kitchener, K. S., and King, P. M. (1980). Reflective judgment: Concepts of justification and their relationship to age and education.J. Appl. Develop. Psychol. 2: 89–116. CrossRef
- Kohlberg, L., Levine, C., and Hewer, A. (1983).Moral Stages: A Current Formulation and a Response to Critics. Karger, Basel.
- Knefelkamp, L. L., and Slepitza, R. (1978). A cognitive-developmental model of career development: An adaptation of the Perry scheme. In Parker, C. A. (ed.),Encouraging Development in College Students. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis, MN.
- Marcia, J. E. (1966). Development and validation of ego-identity status.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 3: 551–558.
- Marcia, J. E. (1983). Some directions for the investigation of ego development in early adolescence.J. Early Adoles 3: 215–223.
- Nisbett, R. E., and Ross, L. (1980).Human Inference: Strategies and Shortcomings of Social Judgment. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ.
- Orlofsky, J. L., Marcia, J. E., and Lesser, I. M. (1973). Ego identity status and the intimacy versus isolation crisis of young adulthood.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 27: 211–219.
- Perry, W. G., Jr. (1970).Forms of Intellectual and Ethical Development in the College Years: A Scheme. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, Inc., New York.
- Perry, W. G., Jr. (1981). Cognitive and ethical growth: The making of meaning. In Chickering, A. (ed.),The Modern American College. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco.
- Pitz, G. F., and Sachs, N. J. (1984). Judgment and decision: Theory and application.Ann. Rev. Psychol. 35: 139–163. CrossRef
- Pollard, P. (1982). Human reasoning: Some possible effects of availability.Cognition 12: 65–96. CrossRef
- Rowe, I., and Marcia, J. E. (1980). Ego identity status, formal operations, and moral development.J. Youth Adoles. 9: 87–99. CrossRef
- Schiedel, D. G., and Marcia, J. E. (1985). Ego identity, intimacy, sex role orientation, and gender.Develop. Psychol. 21: 149–160.
- Torrance, E. P. (1972). Directions manual and scoring guide.Torrance Tests of Creative Thinking. Scholastic Testing Service, Bensenville, IL.
- Tversky, A., and Kahneman, D. (1981). The framing of decisions and the psychology of choice.Science 211: 453–458.
- Wallach, M., and Kogan, N. (1965).Modes of Thinking in Young Children. Holt, Rinehart and Winston, New York.
- Walker, L. J. (1984). Sex differences in the development of moral reasoning: A critical review.Child Develop. 55: 677–692.
- Older adolescents' thinking about academic/vocational and interpersonal commitments
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 313-330
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links