Telecommunications network topological design and capacity expansion: Formulations and algorithms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper formulates the network topology and capacity expansion problem in a telecommunications network and suggests a family of heuristics and a dual-based lower bounding procedure for solving it. They include schemes exploiting special subproblem structures, decomposition of the problem using Lagrangian relaxation, and a global search strategy. Carefully designed experiments show that the procedure generates solutions within forty percent of the lower bound in most cases. To evaluate the solution quality more accurately, additional experiments have been performed, using a random search strategy for the topological variables with capacity expansion optimized. It is shown that the global heuristic solutions dominate solutions that use the random search strategy for topological variables. Following the computational experiments, a tighter formulation is suggested which can improve the lower bounds. The paper concludes with a discussion of further research areas.
- Y.K. Agarwal, Integer programming for telecommunications network design, Paper presented at 1st ORSA Telecom. SIG Conf.
- A. Balakrishnan, T.L. Magnanti and R.T. Wong, A dual-ascent procedure for large scale uncapacitated network design, Oper. Res. 37(1989)716–740.
- N. Christofides and P. Brooker, Optimal expansion of an existing network, Math. Progr. 6(1974)197–211.
- H. Crowder and M.W. Padberg, Solving large-scale symmetric traveling salesman problems to optimality, Manag. Sci. 26(1980)495–509.
- P.J. Doulliez and M.R. Rao, Optimal network capacity planning: A shortest path scheme, Oper. Res. 23(1975)811–818.
- D. Erlenkotter, A dual-based procedure for uncapacitated facility location, Oper. Res. 26(1978)992–1009.
- B. Gavish, Topological design of centralized computer networks — formulations and algorithms, Networks 12(1982)355–377.
- B. Gavish, Augmented Lagrangian based algorithms for centralized network design, IEEE Trans. Commun. COM-33(1985)1247–1257.
- B. Gavish and K. Altinkemer, Backbone network design tools with economic tradeoffs, ORSA J. Comp. 2(1990)236–245.
- B. Gavish and K. Srikanth, An optimal solution method for large-scale multiple traveling salesman problems, Oper. Res. 34(1986)698–717.
- D.S. Johnson, J.K. Lenstra and A.H.G. Rinnooy Kan, The complexity of the network design problem, Networks 8(1978)279–285.
- M. Minoux, Network synthesis and dynamic network optimization, Ann. Discr. Math. 31(1987)283–324.
- S.H. Parrish, T. Cox, W. Kuehner and Y. Qui, Planning for optimal expansion of leased line communication networks, Ann. Oper. Res. 36(1992)347–364.
- D.R. Shier and C. Witzgall, Arc tolerances in shortest path and network flow problems, Networks 10(1980)277–291.
- N. Zadeh, On building minimum cost communication networks over time, Networks 4(1974)19–34.
- Telecommunications network topological design and capacity expansion: Formulations and algorithms
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 99-131
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors