Comment on “smooth and discontinuous signature change in general relativity”
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Kossowski and Kriele derived boundary conditions on the metric at a surface of signature change. We point out that their derivation is based not only on certain smoothness assumptions but also on a postulated form of the Einstein field equations. Since there is no canonical form of the field equations at a change of signature, their conclusions are not inescapable. We show here that a weaker formulation is possible, in which less restrictive smoothness assumptions are made, and (a slightly different form of) the Einstein field equations are satisfied. In particular, in this formulation it is possible to have a bounded energy-momentum tensor at a change of signature without satisfying their condition that the extrinsic curvature vanish.
- Kossowski, M., Kriele, M. (1993) Class. Quantum Grav. 10: pp. 2363
- Ellis, G. F. R., Sumeruk, A., Coule, D., Hellaby, C. (1992) Class. Quantum Grav. 9: pp. 1535
- Hellaby, C., Dray, T. (1994) Phys. Rev. D49: pp. 5096
- Dray, T. (1995). “Einstein's Equations in the Presence of Signature Change,” to appear inJ. Math. Phys.
- Embacher, F. (1995) Phys. Rev. D51: pp. 6764
- Dray, T., Hartley, D., Tucker, R. W. and Tuckey, P. (1995). “Tensor Distributions in the Presence of Signature Change.” University of Adelaids Preprint nr. ADP 95-44/M37.
- Hellaby, C., Dray, T. (1995) Phys. Rev. D52: pp. 7333
- Dray, T., Manogue, C. A., Tucker, R. W. (1993) Phys. Rev. D48: pp. 2587
- Hayward, S. A. (1992) Class. Quantum Grav. 9: pp. 1851
- Comment on “smooth and discontinuous signature change in general relativity”
General Relativity and Gravitation
Volume 28, Issue 11 , pp 1401-1407
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors