Determination of the degree of acetylation of chitin and chitosan by thermal analysis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Several methods for the rapid determination of the degree of acetylation of chitin and related polymers have been evaluated, including the use of the infrared and the mass spectra.
Chitin and chitosan have characteristic degradation temperatures and it is possible to determine the acetylation degree by the use of empirical correlations based on the weight losses associated with the main decomposition peaks.
- F. A. Rutherford, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Chitin/Chitosan, Ed. R. A. A. Muzzarelli and R. A. Pariser, 1978, p. 182.
- R. A. A. Muzzarelli, Chitin, Pergamon Press, 1977, p. 105.
- G. K. Moore, Proceedings of the First International Conference on Chitin/Chitosan, Ed. R. A. A. Muzzarelli and E. R. Pariser, 1978, p.421.
- E. R. Hayes, ibid, p. 406.
- I. Garcia Alonso, Informe Técnico-Ciéntéfico, N∘ 165, Academia de Ciencias de Cuba, 1981, pp. 11.
- C. Peniche-Covas, Resúmenés del I Congreso Nacional de la Sociedad Cubana de Química, 1982, pp. 172.
- Determination of the degree of acetylation of chitin and chitosan by thermal analysis
Journal of thermal analysis
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 189-193
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors