Social adjustment and placement of autistic children in Middlesex: A follow-up study
- Victor Lotter
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A follow-up study of 32 autistic children identified in an epidemiological survey when they were 8 to 10 years of age and investigated 8 years later at 16 to 18 years of age is presented and discussed. Outcome is described in terms of general social adjustment, employment, and placement history. Results are contrasted with those for a comparison group identified in the original survey and those reported for comparably defined children in other studies. Only one autistic child was employed, and outcome was in general worse for the autistic group in which 62% required extensive care and supervision. There does not seem to be a direct relationship between employability and amount of schooling. Expectations with respect to outcome can be indicated with some confidence for comparable groups.
- Alpern, G. D. Comment in general discussion, p. 115. In D. W. Churchill, G. D. Alpern, & M. K. DeMyer (Eds.),Infantile autism. Springfield: Charles C Thomas, 1971.
- Anthony, E. J. Low-grade psychosis in childhood.Proceedings of the London Conference Scientific Study of Mental Deficiency. Vol. 2. London: May & Baker, 1962.
- Bartak, L., & Rutter, M. Educational treatment of autistic children. In M. Rutter (Ed.),Infantile autism: Concepts, characteristics and treatment. London: Churchill Livingstone, 1971.
- Börjeson, A., & Nylander, I. A case of severe developmental motor aphasia with psychotic symptoms successfully treated by speech therapy.Acta Paedospychiatrica, 1963,30, 59–70.
- Bosch, G.Infantile autism. New York: Springer, 1970.
- Brown, J. L. Adolescent development of children with infantile psychosis.Seminars in Psychiatry, 1969,1, 79–89.
- Creak, M. Schizophrenic syndrome in childhood.Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 1961,3, 501–504.
- DeMyer, M. K., Barton, S., De Myer, W. E., Norton, J. A., Allen, J., & Steele, R. Prognosis in autism: A follow-up study.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 1973,3, 199–246. CrossRef
- Eisenberg, L. The autistic child in adolescence.American Journal of Psychiatry, 1956,112, 607–612.
- Eisenberg, L. Chairman's closing remarks. In M. Rutter (Ed.),Infantile autism: Concepts, characteristics and treatment. London: Churchill Livingstone, 1971.
- Elgar, Sybil. Teaching autistic children. In J. K. Wing (Ed.),Early childhood autism: Clinical, educational and social aspects. London: Pergamon, 1966.
- Frith, Uta. Studies in pattern detection in normal and autistic children.Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 1970,10, 120–135. CrossRef
- Lotter, V. Epidemiology of autistic conditions in young children. I: Prevalence.Social Psychiatry, 1966,1, 124–137. CrossRef
- Lotter, V. Epidemiology of autistic conditions in young children. II: Some characteristics of the parents and children.Social Psychiatry, 1967,1, 163–173. CrossRef
- Lotter, V. The prevalence of the autistic syndrome in childhood. Ph.D. Thesis submitted to University of London, 1967. (a)
- Robins, L. N. Follow-up studies investigating childhood disorders. In E. H. Hare & J. K. Wing (Eds.),Psychiatric epidemiology. London: Oxford University Press, 1970.
- Rutter, M. Psychotic disorders in early childhood. In A. Coppen & A. Walk (Eds.), Recent Developments in Schizophrenia.British Journal of Psychiatry, Special Publication, No. 1, 1967.
- Rutter, M. Autistic children: Infancy to adulthood.Seminars in Psychiatry, 1970,2, 435–450.
- Rutter, M. Comment in general discussion. In D. W. Churchill, G. D. Alpern, & M. K. DeMyer (Eds.),Infantile autism. Springfield: Charles C Thomas, 1971.
- Rutter, M., Bartak, L., & Newman, S. Autism-A central disorder of cognition and language? In M. Rutter (Ed.),Infantile autism: Concepts, characteristics and treatment. London: Churchill Livingstone, 1971.
- Rutter, M., & Lockyer, L. A 5 to 15 year follow-up of infantile psychosis. I: Description of sample.British Journal of Psychiatry, 1967,113, 1169–1182. (a)
- Rutter, M., & Lockyer, L. A 5 to 1 5 year follow-up study of infantile psychosis. II: Social and behavioral outcome.British Journal of Psychiatry, 1967,113, 1183–1199. (b)
- Social adjustment and placement of autistic children in Middlesex: A follow-up study
Journal of autism and childhood schizophrenia
Volume 4, Issue 1 , pp 11-32
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Victor Lotter (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Guelph, N1G 2W1, Guelph, Ontario, Canada