Mössbauer spectra and electronic structure of nonequilibrium Fe-Cu alloys produced by vapor quenching
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Mössbauer spectra have been observed for nonequilibrium bcc and fcc Fe−Cu alloys sputter-deposited at several Ar gas pressures,P Ar. These alloys are ferromagnetic at low temperatures and show sextet spectra. The fcc alloys which are paramagnetic at 290 K show asymmetric doublet spectra, indicating no serious segregation. In the alloys deposited at highP Ar, the weak intensity ratios of the second and fifth lines of the sextet indicate a tendency of perpendicular magnetic anisotropy, while a large magnetic hyperfine field component of about 40 MA/m (500 kOe) at 4.2 K and a large quadrupole splitting component of about 0.7 mm/s at 290 K imply CuFeO2 formation. The nonequilibrium, bcc and fcc Fe−Cu, alloys are maintained below 500 K and the phase separation is detected above 550 K. X-ray photoemission spectroscopy studies of these alloys reveals individual Fe- and Cu-d bands. The concentration dependence of peak intensities and peak positions indicate that Fe and Cu electronically intermix.
Supplementary Material (0)
- J.A. Thornton, Ann. Rev. Mater. Sci. 7 (1977) 239.
- T.B. Massalski, J.L. Murray, L.H. Bennett, H. Barker and L. Kacprazak,Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, Vols 1 and 2 (American Society of Metals, Ohio, 1986).
- K. Sumiyama and Y. Nakamura, J. Iron and Steel Inst. Japan 73 (1987) 2172 (in Japanese).
- K. Sumiyama, T. Yoshitake and Y. Nakamura, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 53 (1984) 3160.
- K. Sumiyama, T. Yoshitake and Y. Nakamura, Trans. Japan Inst. Metals 26 (1985) 217.
- J. Hesse and A. Rubartsch, J. Phys. E: Sci. Instrum. 7 (1974) 526.
- U. Gonser and M. Ron.Applications of Mössbauer Spectroscopy II ed. by R.L. Cohen (Academic Press, New York, 1980) p. 281.
- K. Sumiyama, K. Takemura and Y. Nakamura, Trans. Japan Inst. Metals 29 (1988) 962.
- K. Sumiyama, K. Takemura and Y. Nakamura, Japan J. Appl. Phys. 28 (1989) 361.
- A.H. Muir Jr and H. Wiedersich, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 28 (1967) 65.
- H. Fujiwara, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 20 (1965) 2092.
- N.N. Greenwood and T.C. Gibb,Mössbauer Spectroscopy (Chapman and Hall, London, 1971) p. 234.
- K. Sumiyama, T. Yoshitake and Y. Nakamura. Acta Met. 33 (1985) 1785.
- B. Window, Phil. Mag. 26 (1972) 681.
- M. Ushida, K. Tanaka, K. Sumiyama and Y. Nakamura, J. Phys. Soc. Japan 58 (1989) 1725.
- S. Hüfner, G.K. Wertheim and J.H. Wernick, Phys. Rev. B8 (1973) 4511.
About this Article
- Mössbauer spectra and electronic structure of nonequilibrium Fe-Cu alloys produced by vapor quenching
Volume 53, Issue 1-4 , pp 143-158
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links