Effect of inoculum size on antimicrobial susceptibility ofHelicobacter pylori
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An agar dilution assay was used to assess the effect of inoculum size and culture period on the susceptibility of 15 clinical isolates ofHelicobacter pylori to ampicillin, erythromycin, tetracycline, chloramphenicol, metronidazole and tinidazole. The mean MIC of the isolates increased 2.2- to 21.2-fold as the inoculum size progressed from 103 to 107 cfu/spot. Identical results were noted when isolates were maintained for two or four days prior to testing. Inoculum size should be carefully controlled when assessing the in vitro susceptibility ofHelicobacter pylori.
- Marshall BJ, Armstrong JA, McGechie DB, Glancy RJ: Attempt to fulfil Koch's postulates for pyloric campylobacter. Medical Journal of Australia 1985, 142: 436–443.
- Wyatt JI, Rathbone BJ, Dison MF, Heatley RV:Campylobacter pyloridis and acid induced gastric metaplasia in the pathogenesis of duodenitis. Journal of Clinical Pathology 1987, 40: 841–848.
- McNulty CAM, Dent JC: Susceptibility of clinical isolates ofCampylobacter pylori to twenty-one antimicrobial agents. European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases 1988, 7: 565–569.
- Millar MR, Pike J: Bactericidal activity of antimicrobial agents against slowly growingHelicobacter pylori. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1992, 36: 185–187.
- Glupczynski Y, Burette A, de Koster E, Nyst JF, Deltenre M, Cadranel S, Bordeaus L, de Vos D: Metronidazole resistance inHelicobacter pylori. Lancet 1990, 335: 976–977.
- Cozens RM, Tuoanen E, Tosch W, Zak O, Suter J, Tomasz A: Evaluation of the bactericidal activity of β-lactam antibiotics on slowly growing bacteria cultured in the chemostat. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1986, 29: 797–802.
- Bronsdon MA, Schoenknecht FD:Campylobacter pylori isolated from the stomach of the monkey,Macaca nemestrina. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1988, 26: 1725–1728.
- Buck GE, Gourley WK, Lee W, Sabramanyam K, Latimer JM, DiNuzzo AR: Relation ofCampylobacter pyloridis to gastritis and peptic ulcer. Journal of Infectious Diseases 1986, 153: 664–669.
- Glupczynski Y, Labbe M, Hansen W, Crokaert R, Yourassowsky E: Evaluation of the E test for quantitative antimicrobial susceptibility testing ofHelicobacter pylori. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 1991, 29: 2072–2075.
- Goodwin CS, Blake P, Blincow E: The minimum inhibitory and bactericidal concentrations of antibiotics and anti-ulcer agents againstCampylobacter pyloridis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy 1986, 17: 309–314.
- Barry AL: Procedure for testing antimicrobial agents in agar media: theoretical considerations. In: Lorian V (ed): Antibiotics in laboratory medicine. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, 1986, p. 1–26.
- Lambert T, Megraud F, Gerbaud G, Courvalin P: Susceptibility ofCampylobacter pyloridis to 20 antimicrobial agents. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 1986; 30: 510–511.
- Effect of inoculum size on antimicrobial susceptibility ofHelicobacter pylori
European Journal of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Volume 12, Issue 10 , pp 782-783
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, Elias Sourasky Medical Center, Ichilov Hospital, 6 Weizman St., 64239, Tel-Aviv, Israel
- 2. Sackler Faculty of Medicine, University of Tel-Aviv, Israel
- 3. Department of Gastroenterology, Elias Sourasky Medical Center, Ichilov Hospital, 6 Weizman St., 64239, Tel-Aviv, Israel