Efficient implementation of heuristics for the continuous network design problem
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we present an efficient implementation of heuristic procedures for solving the continuous network design problem where network users behave according to Wardrop's first principle of traffic equilibrium. Numerical results involving a “standard” benchmark problem are given. Also, it is shown that the cost mapping arising in the Iterative-Optimization-Assignment algorithm is integrable if and only if the volume-delay function is of either the BPR or some logarithmic form.
- M. Abdulaal and L.J. LeBanc, Continuous equilibrium design models, Transport. Res. 13B(1979)19–32.
- S.C. Dafermos, Traffic equilibrium and variational inequalities, Transport. Sci. 14(1980)42–54.
- T.L. Friesz, C. Suwansirikul and R.L. Tobin, Equilibrium Decomposition Optimization: A heuristic for the continuous equilibrium network design problem, Transport. Sci. 21(1987)254–263.
- M. Florian, J. Guélat and H. Spiess, An efficient implementation of the PARTAN variation of the linear approximation method for the network equilibrium problem, Networks 17(1987)319–340.
- M. Fukushima, A modified Frank-Wolfe algorithm for solving the traffic assignment problem, Transport. Res. 18B(1984)169–177.
- D.W. Hearn. The gap function of a convex program, Oper. Res. Lett. 1(1981)67–71.
- S. Lawphongpanich and D.W. Hearn, Simplicial decomposition of the asymmetric traffic assignment problem, Transport. Res. 18B(1984)123–133.
- P. Marcotte, Network optimization with continuous control parameters, Transport. Sci. 17(1983)181–197.
- P. Marcotte, Network design problem with congestion effects: A case of bilevel programming. Math. Progr. 34(1986)142–162.
- P. Marcotte and J. Guélat, A modified Newton method for solving the asummetric traffic equilibrium problem, Transport. Sci. 22(1988)112–124.
- L. LeBlanc, E. Morlok and W. Pierskalla, An efficient approach to solving road network equilibrium traffic assignment problems, Transport. Res. 9B(1975)309–318.
- M.J. Smith, The existence, uniqueness and stability of traffic equilbria, Transport. Res. 13B(1979)295–304.
- Efficient implementation of heuristics for the continuous network design problem
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 34, Issue 1 , pp 163-176
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors