Ecological and biological phenomena influencing coral-species composition on the reef tables at Eilat (Gulf of Aqaba, Red Sea)
- L. Fishelson
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Observations performed on coral colonies damaged during a very low tide on the shallow-water reef tables at Eilat (Red Sea), showed that most colonies are able to regenerate if parts of the living tissue remain intact on the skeletons. Brain-like corals, such asFavia favus andPlatygyra lamellina, were found to be more resistant to dessication than the delicate bush-like forms. It was also observed that the exposed skeletons of corals were immediately covered by a successive group of algae with a rich invertebrate epifauna among them. It is postulated that unpredicted extreme low water, occurring once in several years, could be the factor that prevents crowding on the reef tables, thus keeping high the level of coralspecies diversity.
- Bennett, I.: The fringe of the sea, 261 pp. Australia: Griffin Press 1966.
- Ehrenberg, C. G.: Korallenthiere des Rothen Meeres. Phys. Abh. K. Akad. Wiss. Berlin1, 58–355 (1834).
- Fishelson, L.: Marine biological and oceanographical research in the Red Sea. Report to the Office of Naval Research, U.S.A. (Mimeographed), 65 pp. Israel: Tel-Aviv University 1968.
- : Littoral fauna of the Red Sea: the population of non-scleractinian anthozoans of shallow waters of the Red Sea (Eilat). Mar. Biol.6, 106–116 (1970).
- : Ecology and distribution of the benthic fauna in the shallow waters of the Red Sea. Mar. Biol.10, 113–133 (1971).
- Klunzinger, C. B.: Die Steinkorallen, die Madreporaceen und Oculinaceen in Die Korallentiere des Rothen Meeres, Vol. VII. 88 pp. Berlin: Gutmann 1879.
- Loya, Y.: Community structure and species diversity of hermatypic corals at Eilat, Red Sea. Mar. Biol.13 (2), 100–123 (1972).
- and L. B. Slobodkin: The coral reefs of Eilat (Gulf of Eilat, Red Sea). Symp. zool. Soc. Lond.28, 117–139 (1971).
- Marenzeller, E.: Riffkorallen.In: Zoologische Ergebnisse der Expedition S. M. Schiff “Pola” in das Rote meer. Ber. Kommn ozeanogr. Forsch26, 1–97 (1906).
- Morcos, S. A.: Physical and chemical oceanography of the Red Sea. Oceanogr. mar. Biol. A. Rev.8, 73–202 (1970).
- Rossi, L.: Madreporari, stoloniferi e milleporini (Spedizione subacquea italiana nel Mar Rosso) Riv. Biol. colon.14, 23–72 (1954).
- Slobodkin, L. B., L. Fishelson and Y. Loya: A possible explanation for the shallow water diversity at the Eilat coral reef. (In preparation).
- Usiel, Y.: Sea level at Ashdod and Eilat: differences between prediction and observation. Israel J. Earth Sci.17, 137–151 (1968).
- Wainwright, S. A.: Reef communities visited by the Israel South Red Sea Expedition, 1962. Bull. Sea Fish. Res. Stn Israel38, 40–53 (1965).
- Ecological and biological phenomena influencing coral-species composition on the reef tables at Eilat (Gulf of Aqaba, Red Sea)
Volume 19, Issue 3 , pp 183-196
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- L. Fishelson (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Zoology, Tel-Aviv University, Tel-Aviv, Israel