A seminal study of the dynamics of a mudskipper (Periophthalmus papilio) population in the Cross River, Nigeria
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A seminal study was conducted in which the population dynamics (growth, mortality and recruitment) of the mudskipper (Periophthalmus papilio) in the Cross River, Nigeria, was elucidated for the first time using length frequency data and the ELEFAN software. The allometric relationship was: Weight=0.012(Length)2.940, n=415, r2=0.939, P <0.0005. The seasonalized Von Bertalanffy growth parameters were L∞=19.39 cm, K=0.51 y−1, C=0.3, and WP=0.4. The instantaneous total mortality coefficient Z was 2.208 y−1 while the instantaneous natural mortality coefficient was 1.341 y−1. The instantaneous fishing mortality coefficient of 0.867 y−1 yielded the expectedly low exploitation rate E of 0.393. Our estimate shows that the species could reach an average maximum life span of about 6 years in the Cross River system. These results are used in quantitative elucidation of the state of exploitation of the population and will serve as input for the proper and scientific management of the fish resource.
- BEVERTON, R.J.H. and S.J. HOLT, 1956. A review of methods for estimating mortality rates in fish populations, with special references to sources of bias in catch sampling. Rapp. P.-V. Réun. Cons. Int. Explor. Mer. 140: 67–83.
- BEVERTON, R.J.H. and S.J. HOLT, 1966. A manual of methods for fish stock assessment. Part 2. Tables of yields functions. FAO Fish Technic. Pap. 38 Rev. 1: 67.
- BERTI, R., L. CHELAZZI, I. COLOMBINI and A. ERCOLINI, 1992. Direction finding ability in a mudskipper from the delta of the Tana River (Kenya). Trop. Zool. 5: 219–228.
- BERTI, R., L. CHELAZZI, I. COLOMBINI and A. ERCOLINI, 1994. Directional orientation in Kenyan populations ofPeriophthalmus sobrinus Eggert: Experimental analysis of the operating mechanisms. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 181: 135–141.
- BREY, T., M. SORIANO and D. PAULY, 1988. Electronic length frequency analysis. A revised and expanded users guide to ELEFAN 0, 1 and 2 (2nd edition.) Ber. Inst. Meereskunde (Kiel), 1–31.
- CLAYTON, D.A., 1993. Mudskippers. In: A.D. Ansel, R.N. Gibson and M. Barnes, Eds., Oceanography and Marine Ecology — An Annual Review. 31. UCL Press London, p. 507–577.
- COLOMBINI, I., A. BERTI, A. ERCOLINI, L. NOCITA. and L. CHELAZZI, 1995. Environmental factors influencing the zonation and activity patterns of a population ofPeriophthalmus sobrinus Eggert in a Kenyan mangrove. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol., 190: 135–149.
- ETIM, L., 1993. Comparison of condition indices and their seasonal variation in the freshwater clamEgeria radiata (Lamarck) (Tellinacea: Donacidae) from the Cross River, Nigeria. Aquacult. Fish. Managem. 24: 603–612.
- ETIM, L. and T. BREY, 1994. Growth, productivity and significance for fishery of the bivalveEgeria radiata (Donacidae) in the Cross River, Nigeria. Arch. Fish Mar. Res. 42: 63–75.
- ETIM, L., B.U. UWE-BASSEY and T. BREY, 1994 Population dynamics of the West African croakerPseudotolithus elongatus in the Cross River estuary, Nigeria. Sci. Mar. 58: 315–321.
- GAYANILO Jr, F.C., M. SORIANO and D. PAULY, 1989. A draft guide to the Complete ELEFAN International Centre For Living Aquatic Resource Management (ICLARM). Manila, Philippines, 1–70.
- IKEBE, Y. and T. OISHI, 1992. Diurnal change of behaviour pattern in the Chinese mudskipperPeriophthalmus cantonensis (Abstract only), Zool. Sci., 9: 1296.
- LOW, W.P., S.F. CHEW and Y. KIP, 1992. Difference in electrophoretic patterns of lactate dehydrogenases from the gills, hearts and muscles of three mudskippers. J. Fish Biol. 40: 975–977.
- MOREAU, J., C. BAMBINO and D. PAULY 1986. Indices of overall fish growth performances of 100Tilapia (Cichlidae) populations. In: J. L. Maclean, L. B. Dizon and L. V. Hosillos, Eds., First Asian Fisheries Forum, Manila, Asian Fisheries Society, p. 201–206.
- PAULY, D., 1986. On improving the operation and use of ELEFAN programs. Part 1. Improving the estimation of L-infinity. Fishbyte 4: 18–20.
- PAULY, D. and G. GASCHUTZ, 1979. A simple method for fitting oscillating length data, with a program for pocket calculators. ICESCM 1979/ 24. Demersal Fish Committee.
- PAULY, D., 1980. On the interrelationships between natural mortality, growth parameters and mean environmental temperatures in 175 fish stocks. J. Cons. Int. Explor. Mer. 39: 175–192.
- PAULY, D., 1983. Length-converted catch curves. A powerful tool for fisheries research in the tropics (Part 1). ICLARM Fishbyte 1: 9–13.
- PAULY, D., 1987. A review of the system for analysis of length data in fish and invertebrates. In: D. Pauly and G.R. Morgan, Eds., Length based methods in fisheries research. ICLARM Conf. Proc. ICLARM, Manila 13: 7–34.
- PAULY, D. and J.L. MUNRO, 1984. Once more on the growth comparison in fish and invertebrates. Fishbyte 2: 17–19.
- PRESS, W.H., B.P. FLANNERY, S.A. TEUKOLSKY and W.T. VETTERLING, 1986. Numerical recipes: The art of scientific computing. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- SOMERS, I.F., 1988. On seasonally oscillation growth function. Fishbyte 6: 8–11.
- SONI, V.C. and B. GEORGE, 1986. Age determination and length-weight relationship in the mudskipperBoleophthalmus dentatus. Indian J. Fish., 33: 321–324.
- SPONDER, D.L. and G.V. LAUDER, 1981. Terrestrial feeding in the mudskipperPeriophthalmus (Pisces: Teleostei). A cineradiographic Analysis. J. Zool., 193: 517–530.
- SPRUGEL, D.G., 1983. Correcting for bias in log-transformed allometric equations. Ecology 64: 209–210.
- SYSTAT, 1992. Statistics. Version 5.2 Edition. Systat Inc., Evanston, IL.
- TAYLOR, C.C., 1960. Temperature, growth and mortality — the Pacific cockle. J. Cons. Int. Explor. Mer 26: 117–124.
- VAKILY, J.M., 1992. Determination and comparison of growth in bivalves with emphasis on the tropics and Thailand. ICLARM Tech. Rep., 36: 1–125.
- VON BERTALANFFY, L., 1938. A quantitative theory of organic growth. Hum. Biol. 10: 181–213.
- WETHERAL, J.A., 1986. A new method for estimating growth and mortality parameters from length-frequency data. ICLARM Fishbyte 4: 12–14.
- A seminal study of the dynamics of a mudskipper (Periophthalmus papilio) population in the Cross River, Nigeria
Netherland Journal of Aquatic Ecology
Volume 30, Issue 1 , pp 41-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Population dynamics
- Periophthalmus papilio
- Cross River