Gender-role identity and psychological adjustment in adolescence
- Kathleen Wells
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The relationship between gender-role identity (traditional, androgynous, cross-gender, and undifferentiated) and psychological adjustment among adolescents was examined. Hypotheses were derived from theories of gender-role identity development. One hundred and three high school students completed a measure of gender-role identity (the Bem Sex-Role Inventory) and four measures of adjustment (three Offer Self-Image scales and the Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale). Findings indicate that traditional, androgynous, and cross-gender identities are each associated with some aspect of superior adjustment. Undifferentiated adolescents are poorly adjusted. When the independent contribution of masculinity, femininity, and gender-role identity to adjustment was assessed, masculinity and femininity had greater predictive power than gender-role identity. The relationship of findings to gender-role identity development is discussed.
- Bem, S. (1974). The measurement of psychological androgyny.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 42: 155–162.
- Bem, S. (1975). Sex role adaptability: One consequence of psychological androgyny.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 31: 634–643.
- Bem, S. (1977). On the utility of alternative procedures for assessing psychological androgyny.J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 45: 196–205.
- Bem, S., and Lenny, E. (1976). Sex typing and the avoidance of cross-sex behavior.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 33: 48–54.
- Bem, S., Martyna, W., and Watson, C. (1976). Sex typing and androgyny. Further explorations of the expressive domain.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 34: 1016–1023.
- Block, J. H. (1973). Conceptions of sex role: Some cross-cultural and longitudinal perspectives.Am. Psychologist 28: 512–526.
- Bohan, J. S. (1973). Age and sex differences in the self-concept.Adolescence 8: 379–384.
- Broverman, I. K., Vogel, S. R., Broverman, D. M., Clarkson, F. E., & Rosenkrantz, P. S. (1972). Sex role stereotypes: A current appraisal.J. Soc. Iss. 28: 59–78.
- Crandall, R. (1973). The measurement of self-esteem and related constructs. In Robinson, J., and Shaver, P. (eds.),Measures of Social Psychological Attitudes rev. ed., Institute for Social Research, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Erikson, E. (1950).Childhood and Society Norton, New York.
- Fischer, L. (1979). Enigmatic findings on the enigma of androgyny. Unpublished manuscript, Pennsylvania State University.
- Gaudreau, P. (1977). Factor analysis of the Bem Sex-Role Inventory.J. Consult Clin. Psychol. 45: 299–302.
- Hefner, R., Rebecca, M., and Oleshansky, B. (1975). Development of sex-role transcendence.Hum. Dev. 18: 143–158.
- Jones, W. H., Chernovetz, O'C., and Hansson, R. O. (1978) The enigma of androgyny: Differential implications for males and females?J. Consult. Clin. Psychol. 46: 298–313.
- Kohlberg, L. (1966). A cognitive-developmental analysis of children's sex role concepts and attitudes. In Maccoby, E. (ed.),The Development of Sex Differences Stanford University Press, Stanford, Calif.
- Loevinger, J. (1966). The meaning and measurement of ego development.Am. Psychologist 21: 195–206.
- Mussen, P. H. (1961). Some antecedents and consequences of masculine sex-typing in adolescent boys.Psychol. Monogr. 75(2, Whole No. 506).
- Mussen, P. H. (1969). Early sex-role development. In Goslin, D. A. (ed.),Handbook of Socialization Theory and Research Rand McNally, Chicago.
- Nie, N., Hull, C. H., Jenkins, J. G., Steinbrenner, K., and Bent, D. (1975).Statistical Package for the Social Sciences 2nd ed., McGraw Hill, New York.
- Offer, D., and Howard, K. I. (1972). An empirical analysis of the Offer Self-Image Questionnaire for Adolescents.Arch. Gen. Psychiat. 27: 529–533.
- Offer, D., Ostrov, E., and Howard, K. I. (1977).The Offer Self-Image Questionnaire for Adolescents, a Manual University of Chicago, Chicago.
- Rosenberg, M. (1965).Society and the Adolescent Self-Image Princeton University Press, Princeton, N.J.
- Rosenberg, M. (1979).Conceiving the Self Basic Books, New York.
- Silber, E., and Tippett, J. (1965). Self-esteem: Clinical assessment and measurement validation.Psychol. Rep. 16: 1017–1071.
- Simmons, R. G., and Rosenberg, F. (1975). Sex, sex roles, and self-image.J. Youth Adoles. 4: 229–257.
- Spence, J. T., Helmreich, R., and Stapp, J. (1975). Ratings of self and peers on sex role attributes and their relations to self-esteem and conceptions of masculinity and feminity.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 32: 29–39.
- Gender-role identity and psychological adjustment in adolescence
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 59-73
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links