Effect of similarity of ego identity status on interpersonal attraction
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Similarity of ego identity status, assessed by Marcia's four-category classification system, was related to interpersonal attraction. Using male and female college students as subjects, this study found that (1) while all judges preferred targets who had or who are undergoing a crisis to those who have not had a crisis, (2) diffuse judges preferred targets with no commitments to those with commitments, and (3) judges with commitments preferred a foreclosure target more than judges without commitments. Differential evaluations of the targets' intelligence, knowledge of current events, adjustment, and morality were also found. Results are discussed both in terms of previous research positively relating personality similarity to attraction and Erikson's theory of the relationship between ego identity development and intimacy in interpersonal relations.
- Byrne, D. (1971).The Attraction Paradigm, Academic Press, New York.
- Byrne, D., and Griffit, W. (1969). Similarity and awareness of similarity of personality characteristics as determinants of attraction.J. Exper. Res. Personal. 3: 179–186.
- Deaux, K. (1976).The Behavior of Women and Men, Brooks/Cole, Monterey, Calif.
- Erikson, E. H. (1959).Identity and the Life Cycle, Psychological Issues, No. 1, International Universities Press, New York.
- Erikson, E. H. (1963).Childhood and Society, 2nd ed., Norton, New York.
- Erikson, E. H. (1968).Identity: Youth and Crisis, Norton, New York.
- Feinberg, R. A., and Lombardo, J. P. (1978). Perceived locus of control and attraction as a function of locus of control orientation.Personal. Soc. Psychol. Bull. 4: 244–247.
- Griffit, W. B. (1969). Personality similarity and self-concept as determinants of interpersonal attraction.J. Soc. Psychol. 78: 137–146.
- Hodges, L. A., and Byrne, D. (1972). Verbal dogmatism as a potentiator of intolerance.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 21: 312–317.
- Marcia, J. E. (1966). Development and validation of ego-identity status.J. Personal. Soc. Psychol. 3: 551–558.
- Marcia, J. E. (1979). Ego identity status. Unpublished manuscript,
- Pursell, S. A., and Banikiotes, P. G. (1978). Androgyny and initial interpersonal attraction.Personal. Soc. Psychol. Bull. 4: 235–239.
- Weiner, D. (1970). Failure of personality variables to mediate interpersonal attraction.Psychol. Rep. 26: 784–786.
- Effect of similarity of ego identity status on interpersonal attraction
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 153-162
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links