Psycho-social impacts of terrorism and organized crime: The counterfinality of the practico-inert
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The phrase, “the counterfinality of the practico-inert” is from Sartre with reference to implications of modern technology as a shorthand for that enormous properly human and anti-natural power of dead human labor stored up in our machinery — an alienated power, which turns back on and against us in unrecognizable forms and can symbolize the massive dystopian horizon of organized crime as well as individual terrorist praxis (Jean-Paul Sartre (1948).Situations II. Paris: Gallimard).
- Adelman, K. L., & Augustine, N. R. (1990).The defense revolution: Intelligent downsizing of America's military. San Francisco: Institute for Contemporary Studies.
- Carter, D. L. (1994). International organized crime: Emerging trends in entrepreneurial crime.Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice, 10(4) (December).
- Cohn, I., & Gordon-Gill, G. S. (1993).Child soldiers. Geneva: Institut Henry-Dunant.
- Elshtain, J. B. (1995).Democracy on trial. New York: Basic Books.
- Finckenauer, J. O. (1994). Russian organized crime in America. In R. J. Kelly, K. I. Chin, and R. Schatzberg (Eds.),Handbook of organized crime in the United States. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press.
- Frankland, N. (1965).The bomber offensive against Germany. London: Weidenfeld.
- Goldberg, J. (1995). A war without purpose.New York Times Magazine, January 22, 36–40.
- Holder-Rhodes, J., & Lupsha, P. A. (1993). Gray are phenomena: New threats and policy dilemmas.CJ. International, 9(1) (January–February); National Strategy Information Center (1992). The Gray Area Phenomenon: Report of a Research Seminar. July, Washington, D.C.
- Inciardi, J. (1991). “Narcoterrorism: A perspective and commentary. In R. J. Kelly and D. E. J. MacNamara (Eds.),Perspectives on deviance. Cincinnati, OH: Anderson Publishing Co.
- Jenkins, B. M. (December 1985).Future trends in international terrorism. Santa Monica, CA: The Rand Corporation, p. 7176.
- Kaplan, D. E., & Dubro, A. (1986).Yakuza. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley Publishing Co.
- Kelly, R. J. (1973). Political crimes and the emergence of revolutionary nationalist ideologies. In R. S. Denisoff and C. McCaghy (Eds.),Deviance, conflict and criminality. Chicago: Rand McNally; (1995). From pistols to ploughshares: The IRA's farewell to arms.International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice, 20(1) (forthcoming).
- Kelly, R. J. (1994). Breaking the seals of silence: Anti-Mafia uprising in Sicily.USA Today Magazine (July).
- Kelly, R. J., & Cook, W. (1994). Experience in international travel and aversion to terrorism.Journal of Police and Criminal Psychology, 10(2) (April).
- Kelly, R. J., & Chin, K. (1995). Illegal Chinese immigrants and smuggling rings.National Science Foundation (forthcoming).
- Lasch, C. (1995).The revolt of the elites and the betrayal of democracy. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Lee, R. W., III (1992). Colombia's cocaine syndicates. In A. W. McCoy and Alan Block (Eds.),War on drugs. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.
- Raufer, X. (1992). Gray areas: A new security threat.Political Warfare.
- Rieber, R. W.Manufacturing stress: Psychopathy in everyday life. New York: Plenum Publishing (in press).
- Rosenberg, T. (1991).Children of Cain: Violence and the violent in Latin America. New York: Morrow.
- Simon, J. D. (1994).The terrorist trap: America's experience with terrorism. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University Press.
- Speer, A. (1982).Inside the Third Reich. New York: Knopf.
- Steinitz, M. S. (1985). Insurgents, terrorists and the drug trade.The Washington Quarterly (Fall).
- Sterling, C. (Fall 1994a).Thieves' world: The threat of the new global network of organized crime. New York: Simon and Schuster.
- Sterling, C. (Fall 1994b).Thieves' world: The threat of the new global network of organized crime. New York: Simon and Schuster, pp. 14–15.
- Van Crevald, M. (1991a).The transformation of war. New York: Free Press, p. 192.
- Van Crevald, M. (1991b).The transformation of war. New York: Free Press, p. 193.
- Williams, P. (1994). Transnational criminal organizations and international security.Survival, 36(1) (Spring), p. 105.
- Psycho-social impacts of terrorism and organized crime: The counterfinality of the practico-inert
Journal of Social Distress and the Homeless
Volume 4, Issue 4 , pp 265-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links