The Helmstein bladder distension treatment for tumours and severe bleeding
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Helmstein bladder distension treatment was applied to 26 patients, who received a total of 70 treatments (52 for bladder tumour and 18 for severe bleeding; in 7 cases for both tumour and bleeding). In the T2 tumours total necrosis occurred in 27% of the cases, partial necrosis in 50% and no necrosis in 23%. Of the patients with total necrosis 64% had recurrences within 12 months. In the T3–T4 tumours only 33% had a temporary slight reduction of the tumour mass. In patients with severe bleeding from the bladder, haematuria ceased within 1 to 5 days after the treatment in 12 out of 18 cases. Bleeding, however, recurred after an average of 3 months.
It is concluded that the treatment is useful in selected cases with multiple tumours of the bladder, and the method is effective in controlling severe bleeding from the bladder.
- Bubenik, J., Perlmann, P., Helmstein, K., Moberger, G.: Cellular and humoral immune responses to human urinary bladder carcinomas.Int. J. Cancer, 5, 310 (1970).
- Cattolica, E. V.: Hydrostatic bladder distention for bladder tumor.Urology, 5, 115 (1975).
- Coomes, G. B.: A clinical evaluation of hydrostatic pressure treatment for carcinoma of the bladder.Br. J. Urol., 47, 177 (1975).
- Donaldson, R. A.: Intravesical hydrostatic pressure treatment in the control of severe bleeding from the bladder.J. R. Coll. Surg. Edinb., 22, 417 (1977).
- England, H. R., Rigby, C., Shepheard, B. G. F., Tresidder, G. C., Blandy, J. P.: Evaluation of Helmstein's distension method for carcinoma of the bladder.Br. J. Urol., 45, 593 (1973).
- Fåborg-Andersen, J., Høgh, J.: Treatment of severe vesical haemorrhage by hydrostatic pressure.Ugeskr. Laeger, 142, 513 (1980).
- Glashan, R. W.: A critical review of the management of bladder neoplasia usign a modified form of Helmstein's pressure therapy.Br. J. Urol., 47, 57 (1975).
- Hammonds, J. C., Williams, J. L., Fox, M.: The control of severe bleeding from the bladder by intravesical hyperbaric therapy.Br. J. Urol., 46, 309 (1974).
- Helmstein, K.: Hydrostatic pressure therapy. A new approach to the treatment of carcinoma of the bladder.Opusc. Med., 11, 328 (1966).
- Helmstein, K.: Treatment of bladder carcinoma by a hydrostatic pressure technique.Br. J. Urol., 44, 434 (1972).
- Helmstein, K.: Treatment of bladder carcinoma by a hydrostatic pressure technique.Panminerva Med., 18, 194 (1976).
- Hirose, K., Seto, T., Takayasu, H.: Re-evaluation of hydrostatic pressure treatment for malignant bladder lesions.J. Urol., 118, 762 (1977).
- Holstein, P., Jacobsen, K., Fog Pedersen, J., Seir Sørensen, J.: Intravesical hydrostatic pressure treatment: New method for control of bleeding from the bladder mucosa.J. Urol., 109, 234 (1973).
- Iversen Hansen, R., Djurhuus, J. C., Nerstrøm, B.: Hydrostatic pressure treatment for carcinoma of the bladder.Scand. J. Urol. Nephrol., 10, 209 (1976).
- Schiff, M., McGuire, E. J.: Experience with the use of an intravesical hydrostatic pressure balloon.Surg. Gynecol. Obstet., 150, 322 (1980).
- Warne Surgical Products. Catalogue no 7015. Bladder Distension Catheter.
- The Helmstein bladder distension treatment for tumours and severe bleeding
International Urology and Nephrology
Volume 18, Issue 4 , pp 421-427
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links