Total and peripheral bone mass in patients with psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Psoriatic arthritis is thought to be associated with periarticular osteoporosis while rheumatoid arthritis may be associated with generalised as well as periarticular bone loss. To assess the extent of total and peripheral bone loss in these two diseases, total body calcium was measured by in vivo neutron activation analysis and peripheral bone mass was assessed by metacarpal indices in age-matched patients with psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis treated with nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs alone. In comparison with age and sex-matched normal controls, total and peripheral bone mass was normal in psoriatic arthritis. There were significant reductions in total (6.2% in men; 7.9% in women) and peripheral (10.9% in men; 12.8% in women) bone mass in patients with rheumatoid arthritis compared with controls. Peripheral bone mass was significantly correlated with the degree of radiographic damage in male and female patients with rheumatoid arthritis. The mean annual loss of total body calcium was insignificant in psoriatic arthritis (0.6% in men; 1.9% in women) but markedly greater in rheumatoid arthritis (4.4% in men; 2.7% in women). The data suggested that total and peripheral bone loss is greater in rheumatoid arthritis than psoriatic arthritis. Substantial reductions in peripheral bone mass in patients with rheumatoid arthritis not receiving corticosteroids may account in part for the small reductions in total bone mass.
- Wright, V. Psoriatic arthritis. A comparative radiographic study of rheumatoid arthritis and arthritis associated with psoriasis. Ann Rheum Dis 1961, 20, 123–132. CrossRef
- Sherman, M.S. Psoriatic arthritis. — Observations on the clinical, roentgenographic and pathological changes. J Bone Jt Surg 1952, 34A, 831–852.
- Wright, V., Moll, J.M.H. Seronegative polyarthritis. Amsterdam; Elsevier North Holland Publishing Company, 1976.
- Bywaters, E. The early radiological signs of rheumatoid arthritis. Bull Rheum Dis 1960, 11, 231–4.
- Genant, H.K. Radiology of rheumatic diseases. In: McCarty D.J., ed. Arthritis and Allied Conditions. New York: Lea Feabiger, 1979, 70–130.
- Duncan, H., Frost, H.M., Villaneuva, A.R., Sigler, J.W. The osteoporosis of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1965, 8, 943–54.
- Kennedy, A.C., Lindsay, R. Bone involvement in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheum Dis 1977, 3, 403–20.
- Moll, J.M.H., Wright, V. Psoriatric arthritis. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1973, 3, 55–78.
- Kennedy, N.S.J., Eastell, R., Ferrington, C.M. et al. Total body neutron activation analysis of calcium: calibration and normalisation. Phys Med Biol 1982, 27, 697–707.
- Tothill, P., Nicoll, J., Kennedy, N.S.J., Smith, M.A., Reid, D.M., Nuki, G. The in-vivo precision of total body calcium determinations by neutron activation analysis. In: Osteoporosis. Christiansen, C, Arnaud CD, Nordin BEC, Parfitt AM, Peck WA, Riggs BL. Eds. Denmark: Department of Clinical Chemistry, Glostrup Hospital, 1984, 217–8.
- Dequeker, J. Quantitative radiology: Radiogrammetry of cortical bone. Br J Radiol 1976, 49, 912–20. CrossRef
- Reid, D.M., Smith, M.A., Kennedy, N.S.J., Tothill, P., Nuki, G. Comparison of metacarpal indices with total body calcium. Calcif Tiss Int 1983, 35s, A4, 16.
- Steinbrocker, O., Traeger, C.H., Batterman, R.C. Therapeutic criteria in rheumatoid arthritis. J A M A 1948, 140, 659–62.
- Skibsted Als, O., Gotfredsen, A., Christiansen, C. Relationship between local and total bone mineral in patients with rheumatoid arthritis and normal subjects. Clin Rheumatol 1983, 2, 265–71.
- Reid, D.M., Kennedy, N.S.J., Smith, M.A., Tothill, P., Nuki, G. Total body calcium in rheumatoid arthritis: effects of disease activity and corticosteroid treatment. Br Med J 1982, 285, 330–2. CrossRef
- Bjelle, A.O., Nilsson, B.E. The relationship between radiological changes and osteoporosis of the hand in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1971, 14, 646–9.
- Total and peripheral bone mass in patients with psoriatic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 372-378
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Psoriatic Arthritis
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Bone Mass
- Total Body Calcium
- Metacarpal Indices
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Rheumatic Diseases Unit, Northern General Hospital, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
- 2. Department of Medicine, Western General Hospital, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
- 4. Department of Medical Physics and Medical Engineering, University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK