Thermophilic fungi in the mycoflora of man and environmental air
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The objective of this study was to determine if thermophilic fungi exist in the mycoflora of man and in the aeroflora of his environment.Humicola lanuginosa andHumicola grisea were isolated from 5 of 55 samples of outside air. Three thousand cultures were taken from the nasal mucosae, skin surfaces and recta of 570 children. Cultures were incubated at 50°C. Thermophilic fungi were isolated from 6 of 287 children receiving immunosuppressive therapy for malignancies and from 1 of 283 normal children.H. lanuginosa was recovered from the skin of one, the rectum of one and the nasal mucosae of three patients.Mucor pusillus was isolated from the nasopharynges of two patients.
Further studies are now indicated to determine the pathogenicity of these organisms with respect to tissue invasive disease, antigenicity and metabolite toxicity.
- Mieke, Hugo. Die Selbsterhitzung des Heus, Eine Biologische Studie. Gustav Fischer, Jena, 1907, 127 p.
- Crisan, E. V. (1959) The isolation and identification of thermophilic fungi. M.S. Thesis. Purdue University, Lafayette, Ind., 107p.
- Kuster, E. &Locci, R. (1964) Studies on peat and peat microorganisms II. Occurrence of thermophilic fungi in peat.Arch. Mikrobiol. 48:319–324.
- Fergus, C. L. (1964) Thermophilic and thermotolerant molds and actinomycetes of mushroom compost during peak heating.Mycologia 56:267–284.
- Cooney, D. G. &Emerson, R. (1964) Thermophilic Fungi, an Account of their Biology, Activities and Classification. Freeman, San Francisco 188p.
- Pepys, J., Jenkins, P. A., Festenstein, G. N., Gregory, P. H., Lacey, M. E. &Skinner, F. A. (1963) Farmer's lung: thermophilic actinomycetes as a source of farmer's hay lung antigen.Lancet 2:607–611.
- Kobayashi, M., Stahmann, M. A., Rankin, J. &Rickie, H. A. (1963) Antigens in moldy hay as the cause of farmer's lung.Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 113:472–476.
- Wenzel, F. L., Emanuel, D. A., Lawton, B. R. &Magnin, G. E. (1964) Isolation of the causative agent of farmer's lung.Ann. Allerg 22:533–540.
- Hinson, K. F. W., Moon, A. J. &Plummer, N. S. (1952) Bronchopulmonary aspergillosis: a review and a report of eight new cases.Thorax 73:317–333.
- Thermophilic fungi in the mycoflora of man and environmental air
Mycopathologia et mycologia applicata
Volume 49, Issue 2-3 , pp 147-152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors