Incorporation of tritium from wrist watches
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Watches are consumer products and are subject to the regulations that control food and consumer products. Elevated concentrations of tritium were found in the urine of persons who wore wrist watches with luminous dials and plastic cases. High emissions of tritium from these watches were observed. In an experiment, a volunteer wore a watch with high emissions and the build up of the tritium concentration in urine was monitored, as well as the decline after removing the watch. Possible pathways for the incorporation and its mechanism are considered. In spite of the relatively high activity concentrations observed, the dose is negligible. On the other hand, the principle “ALARA” can be achieved without any costs by simply choosing other types of watches.
- Health Phys., Vol. 65, No. 6, (1993).
- Brunner, P. (1994) The Lancet 343: pp. 116-116 CrossRef
- Fitzsimmons, C.K., McNelis, D.N., Wruble, D.T. (1972) Health Phys. 22: pp. 574-574
- K. KREJCI, A. ZELLER, “Tritium Pollution in the Swiss Luminous Compound Industry,” IAEA-Symposium “Behavior of Tritium in the Environment,” San Francisco, 1978.
- Tschirf, E., Baumann, W., Niesner, R. (1975) Radiation Map of Austria. Federal Ministry for Health and Environmental Protection, Vienna
- Schönhofer, F. (1992) Radiat. Prot. Dos. 45: pp. 123-123
- H. FRIEDMANN et al., “The Austrian Radon Project,” Proceedings of the “First International Workshop on Indoor Radon Remedial Action,” Rimini, Italy, 1993, in press.
- D. RANK, “Environmental Tritium in Hydrology: Present State (1992),” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Liquid Scintillation Spectrometry, eds. J.E. Noakes, F. Schönhofer, H.A. Polach, 1992, p. 327, Radiocarbon, 1993.
- Schönhofer, F. (1992) Radiocarbon 34: pp. 768-768
- Strahlenschutzgesetz 1969, BGBl. Nr. 227/1969, (Austrian Radiation Protection Law).
- P. BRUNNER, personal communication.
- D. RANK, Proceedings of the Third Workshop on Geoscientific Aspects of Environmental Protection, Vienna, 27–29 April 1994, in press.
- Incorporation of tritium from wrist watches
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 197, Issue 1 , pp 195-202
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors