Chemical study on the separation and purification of promethium-147
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A chemical process for the separation of147Nd/147Pm from fission products of synthetic radioactive waste solution has been developed. The process includes: (1) denitration, (2) removal of high concentration of uranium by 30% TBP/kerosene extraction, (3) removal of95Nb,103Ru,137Cs and part of90Sr by 50% TBP/dodecane extraction, (4) separation of147Nd/147Pm from part of90Sr and95Zr by oxalic acid precipitation, and (5) removal of144Ce by mixture of 0.4M D2EHPA and 0.2M TBP extraction. Experimental results indicate that the recovery of147Nd/147Pm in the final separated solution is about 90%. The purification of147Nd and147Pm from some other rare earth elements, viz.153Sm,154Eu and144Ce was further investigated by using a Dowex 50W×8 ion-exchanger. Parameters of flow rate, eluent concentration and pH were examined. The results show that the recovery and radionuclide purity of147Nd plus147Pm under the present separation conditions are 77.8% and 98.6% for diethylenetriaminepentaacetic acid (DTPA) and 87.3% and 99.5% for nitrilotriacetic acid (NTA), respectively.
- Fullam, H. T., Tuyl, H. H. (1970) Isotop. Radiat. Technol. 7: pp. 207
- J. H. JARRETT,147Pm Use Analysis and Forecasting, Report BNWL-B14, 1971.
- N. C. DAVIS, D. W. BRITE, Promethium-147 Radioisotope Application Program, AMSA Heat Source, Final Report, BNWL-994, 1969.
- Griffo, J. S. (1969) Radioisotopes for Power Applications. Nucl. Met. Soc. AIME 14: pp. 87
- Cooper, R. S., Andelin, R. A., Robinson, R. K. (1969) Trans. Amer. Nucl. Soc. 10: pp. 453
- Olsen, L. C. (1973) Energy Conversion 13: pp. 117
- Olsen, L. C., Seeman, S. E., Griffin, B. I. (1969) Trans. Amer. Nucl. Soc. 12: pp. 481
- Private Communication from Nuclear Engineering Division, Institute of Nuclear Energy Research, ROC, 1986.
- Kourim, V., Vojtech, O. (1974) At. Energy Rev. 12: pp. 215
- G. W. PARKER, P. M. LANTZ, The Separation of Milligram Quantities of Element 61 from Fission, Report ORNL-75, 1948.
- R. L. RITTER, J. S. BUCKINGHAM, Plant Scale Demonstration of Promethium Recovery and Purification Processes, Report RL-SA-53, 1965.
- S. S. BEARD, P. W. SMITH, Status of Fission Product Recovery at Hanford, Report RL-SA-40, 1965.
- R. S. PRESSLY, C. L. OTTINGER, P. B. ORR, E. E. BEAUCHAMP, Purification of Kilocurie Quantities of Promethium-147 by Ion Exchange, Report ORNL-2928, 1960.
- Powell, J. E. (1961) Separation of Rare Earths by Ion Exchange. Wiley, New York
- Weelwright, E. J. (1969) J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem. 31: pp. 3287
- Greene, R. E. (1971) Isotop. Radiat. Technol. 9: pp. 1
- E. J. WHEELWRIGHT, T. R. MAYERS, Parametric Evaluation of DTPA, EDTA, and HEDTA for Ion Exchange Purification of Promethium, Report BNWL-69, Pacific Northwest Laboratory, 1965.
- E. J. WHEELWRIGHT, F. P. ROBERTS, Development and Demonstration of an Ion Exchange Process for Kilogram Scale Production of High Purity Promethium, Report HW-78651, 1963.
- W. L. CHENG, C. C. CHEN, C. S. LEE, G. TING, Process Study for the Production of99Mo from Irradiated UO2, Report INER-T0929, 1983.
- Healy, T. V. (1958) J. Appl. Chem. 8: pp. 553
- R. F. BRADLY, C. B. GOODLET, Denitration of Nitric Acid Solutions by Formic Acid, Report DP-1299, 1972.
- Kelm, K., Oser, B., Drobnik, S. (1980) Nucl. Technol. 51: pp. 27
- Coleman, C. F., Brown, K. B., Moore, J. G., Crous, D. J. (1958) Ind. Eng. Chem. 50: pp. 1956
- Blake, C. A., Baes, C. F., Brown, K. B. (1958) Ind. Eng. Chem. 50: pp. 1763
- W. J. NEILL, J. R. HIGGINS, Report ORNL-2592, 1959.
- L. F. LUST, H. H. Van TUYL, Peroxyacetate Separation of Ce(IV) from Trivalent Rare Earths in Purex Process Solutions, Report HW-73135, 1962.
- E. J. WHEELWRIGHT, N. C. HOWARD, The Separation of Cerium from Trivalent Rare Earths Using Hydrogen Peroxide and Sodium Acetate, Report HW-62505, 1960.
- Chemical study on the separation and purification of promethium-147
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 130, Issue 1 , pp 21-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors