In situ electro-oxidation and liquid-liquid extraction of cerium(IV) from nitric acid medium using tributyl phosphate and 2-ethylhexyl hydrogen 2-ethylhexyl phosphonate
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The process of in situ electro-oxidation of Ce(III) to Ce(IV) followed by its extraction into the organic phase has been investigated for its applicability in the separation of Ce from nitrate medium. Solvent extraction of cerium from nitric acid after its electro-oxidation to fourth valency state was carried out using tributyl phosphate (TBP) and 2-ethylhexyl hydrogen 2-ethylhexyl phosphonate (KSM-17, equivalent to PC-88A). The efficiency of the extractants at different aqueous phase nitric acid concentrations and different electrode potentials were determined. Various reducing agents such as hydroxylamine hydrochloride, sodium nitrite, ferrous sulphate as well as complexing agents like EDTA, oxalic acid etc, were studied as strippants for the back extraction of cerium from the loaded organic phase. The method developed for the extraction of cerium was further extended to the partitioning of cerium from Ce-Am mixture obtained during the KSM-17 based extraction chromatographic elemental fractionation of PUREX High Activity Waste (HAW) solutions. Recovery of Ce obtained in the extraction experiments by batch as well as by continuous flow organic phase was >95% with good radiochemical purity.
- I. L. Jenkins, Hydrometallurgy, 5 (1979) 1. CrossRef
- I. L. Jenkins, Solvent Extr. Ion Exch., 2 (1984) 1.
- J. D. Navratil, W. W. Schulz, (Eds) Transplutonium Elements: Production and Recovery, ACS Symposium Series Volume 161, American Chemical Society, Washington, D. C., 1981.
- G. R. Choppin, J. D. Navratil, W. W. Schultz, (Eds) Actinide/Lanthanide Separations, World Scientific, Singapore, 1985.
- K. L. Nash, Solvent Extr. Ion Exch., 11 (1993) 729.
- T. D. Filer, Anal. Chem., 46 (1974) 608. CrossRef
- N. V. Jarvis, Solvent Extr. Ion Exch., 7 (1989) 1077.
- T. Kimura, J. Akatsu, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 149 (1991) 13.
- E. P. Horwitz, R. Chiarizia, M. L. Dietz, Solvent Extr. Ion Exch., 10 (1992) 313.
- E. Cerrai, Chromatogr. Rev., 6 (1964) 129. CrossRef
- J. N. Mathur, M. S. Murali, P. R. Natarajan, L. P. Badheka, A. Banerji, A. Ramanujam, P. S. Dhami, V. Gopalkrishnan, R. K. Dhumwad, M. K. Rao, Waste Managem., 13 (1993) 317. CrossRef
- A. Ramanujam, P. V. Achuthan, P. S. Dhami, V. Gopalkrishnan, R. Kannan, J. N. Mathur, Solvent Extr. Ion Exch., 13 (1995) 301.
- J. N. Mathur, M. S. Murali, R. H. Iyer, A. Ramanujam, P. S. Dhami, V. Gopalkrishan, L. P. Badheka, A. Banerji, J. Nucl. Technol., 109 (1995) 216.
- W. W. Scultz, J. D. Navratil, Science and Technology of Tributyl Phosphate, Vols 1–3, CRC, Press, Boca Raton, Florida, 1984.
- S. M. Deshpande, S. L. Misra, R. B. Gajankush, N. V. Thakur, K. S. Koppikar, Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 10 (1992) 267.
- Technical Bulletin 3-82-02, Daihachi Chemical Industry Co. Ltd.
- M. A. Ali, A. M. Al-Ani, Analyst, 116 (1991) 1067. CrossRef
- J. A. Partridge, R. C. Jensen, J. Inorg. Nucl. Chem., 31 (1969) 2587. CrossRef
- J. J. Lingane, Electro Analytical Chemistry, Interscience Publisher Inc, New York, 1958.
- In situ electro-oxidation and liquid-liquid extraction of cerium(IV) from nitric acid medium using tributyl phosphate and 2-ethylhexyl hydrogen 2-ethylhexyl phosphonate
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 222, Issue 1-2 , pp 141-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors