Composition of cocoa shell fat as related to cocoa butter
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The physical and chemical constants of cocoa shell fat (a by-product resulted during the production of cocoa butter at chocolate factories) were almost identical with those of cocoa butter obtained from the same cocoa beans except for their high acid value. Shell fat contained more amount of phospholipid content (as cephalin) than cocoa butter. The lipid classes were almost the same in cocoa butter and shell fat, however, the latter contained an unidentified constituent which was not found in cocoa butter. The fatty acids were determined quantitatively by GLC, and the results showed that the predominant acids in cocoa butter were palmitic, and oleic. Less amounts of capric, myrisitic, palmitoleic and linoleic were found in cocoa butter, whereas more amounts of these acids were found in shell fat. Cocoa butter gave higher values of stearic and myristic acids than those of shell fat. Seventeen compounds were detected by GLC in the unsaponifiable matter of both cocoa butter and shell fat from which eight were identified as C30 hydrocarbon, C32 hydrocarbon, squalene, α-tocopherol, cholesterol, campsterol, stigmasterol and β-sitosterol in the two samples. The sterols were determined quantitatively, and it was found that the predominant sterol in cocoa butter and shell fat was B-sitosterol. Cocoa butter contained higher values of stigmasterol than that of shell fat, which contained increasing values of campsterol, low values of cholesterol were found in both samples. Stability of cocoa butter and shell fat towards oxidative rancidity at 100 °C was the same (10.5 hrs).
- Greenwood-Barton, L. H.: Food Manufacture40, 52 (1965).
- Association of Official Agricultural Chemists. Official and tentative methods of analysis (9th ed.). The Association: Washington, D. C. (1960).
- Markham, R.: Biochem. J. 36, 790 (1942).
- American Oil Chemists Society. Official and tentative methods (2nd ed.) American Oil Chemists Society, Chicago, Illinois, (1964).
- Raheja, R. K., C. Kaur, A. Singh, I. S. Bhatia: J. Lipid Res.14, 695 (1973).
- Dixon, M.: Manometric methods as applied to the measurement of cell respiration and other processes. (2nd ed.). University Press, Cambridge, England (1943).
- Malins, D. C., H. K. Mangold: J.A.O.C.S.37, 576 (1960).
- Gouglitz, E. J., L. W. Lehman, J.A.O.C.S.40, 197 (1963).
- Mordret, F. J.: Crops, Grass6, 389 (1968).
- Knapp, A. W., A. Churchman: Chem. and Ind.56, 29 (1937), cited in Food Manufacture,40, 52 (1965).
- Dittmar, H. F. K.: Engenhariae quim (Rio de Janeiro), 5, 1 (1953) cited in Chem. Abs.48, 2949 (1954).
- Sperling, L.: Landwirtsch. Forsch.7, 46 (1954), cited in Chem. Abs.49, 2639 (1955).
- Pearson, D.: The chemical analysis of food. 7th ed. (1976) J. and A. Churchill Ltd. London.
- Weniger, J. H., K. Funk, F. Grosse: Arch. Tierernähr.6, 206 (1956), cited in Chem. Abs.50, 17036 (1956).
- Atawia, B. H. M.: M.Sc. Thesis Faculty of Agric. Al-Azhar Univ. Egypt (1969).
- Pietrzyk, C., A. Warzecha, Tluszeze Jadalne14, 113 (1970), cited in Chem. Abs.73, 97593 (1970).
- Vasconcelos, M. N., Leao da Silva, M. Lima, J. C. Maia, G. O. R. Soarees: Acta Amazonica5, 293 (1975), cited in Chem. Abs.85, 17066 (1976).
- Parsons, J. G., P. G. Keeney: J.A.O.C.S.46, 425 (1969).
- Biino, L., E. Clabot: Nature,16, 257 (1970).
- Farag, R. S.: Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Medicine, London Univ. (1974).
- El-Wakeil, F. A., M. K. Morsi, S. A. Hallabo: The bulletin, Fac. of Agric., Cairo Univ. (1975). In press.
- Ahmed, S. A.: M.Sc. Thesis, Faculty of Agric. Cairo Univ., Egypt (1978).
- Bracco, U., I. Horman, R. Viani: Riv. Ital. Sostanze Grasse, 53, 167 (1976), cited in Chem. Abs.85, 122031 (1976).
- Johnson, A. R., J. B. Davenport: Biochem. and Methodology of Lipids. Ed. Wiley Inc. New York (1972).
- Kates, M.: Techniques of Lipidology. Ed. American Elsevier Publishing Co. Inc., New York (1972).
- Farag, R. S., G. S. Abdel-Malek, A. G. Salim: Chem. Microbiol. Technol. Lebensm.5, 113 (1977).
- Evans, C. D., E. N. Frankel, P. M. Cooney: J.A.O.C.S.36, 75 (1958).
- Rao, M. K., K. T. Achaya: J.A.O.C.S.44, 75 (1967).
- Parkhurst, I. M., W. A. Skinner, P. A. Strum: J.A.O.C.S.45, 641 (1968).
- Sims, R. J., J. A. Fioriti, M. J. Kanuk: J.A.O.C.S.49, 298 (1971).
- Van Wijngaarden, D., L. A. Thyssen, T. D. Osinga: Z. Lebensm.-Unters. Forsch.137, 171 (1968), cited in Chem. Abs.69, 58746 (1968). CrossRef
- Chaverson, H.: Choc. Confiserie Fr.273, 12 (1971), cited in Chem. Abs.76, 84643 (1972).
- Composition of cocoa shell fat as related to cocoa butter
Zeitschrift für Ernährungswissenschaft
Volume 20, Issue 2 , pp 145-151
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors