Relative indicators and relational charts for comparative assessment of publication output and citation impact
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Cross-field comparison ofscientometric indicators 1 is severely hindered by the differences in publication and citation habits of science fields. However, relating publication and citation indicators to proper field-specific reference standards,relative indicators can be built, which may prove rather useful in the comparative assessment of scientists, groups, institutions or countries. The use ofrelational charts in displaying the indicators broadens the scope of such assessments. Relative indicators of chemistry research in 25 countries are presented as an illustrative example.
- Braun, T., Glänzel, W., Schubert, A. (1985) Scientometric Indicators. A 32 Country Comparison of Publication Productivity and Citation Impact. World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore
- Garfield, E. (1979) Is citation analysis a legitimate evaluation tool?. Scientometrics 1: pp. 359
- Griffith, B. C. (1979) Science literature: How faulty a mirror of science?. Aslib Proceedings 31: pp. 381
- Edge, D. (1979) Quantitative measures of communication in science: A critical review. History of Science 27: pp. 102
- Frame, J. D. (1977) Mainstream research in Latin America and the Caribbean. Interciencia 2: pp. 143
- Bujdosó, E., Braun, T. (1983) Publication indicators of relative research efforts in physics subfields. Journal of the American Society for Information Science 34: pp. 150
- T. BRAUN, E. BUJDOSÓ, A. SCHUBERT, Research and Publication Trends in Analytical Chemistry to be published in 1986.
- A. SCHUBERT, W. GLÄNZEL, T. BRAUN, Relative citation rate: A new indicator for measuring the impact of publications, In: D. TOMOV, L. DIMITROVA (Eds),Proceedings of the First National Conference with International Participation on Scientometrics and Linguistics of Scientific Text, Varna, 1983, p. 80–81.
- Garfield, E. (1972) Citation analysis as a tool in journal evaluation. Science 178: pp. 471
- Garfield, A. eds. (1975) Science Citation Index. Institute for Scientific Information, Philadelphia
- Schubert, A., Glänzel, W. (1983) Statistical reliability of comparisons based on the citation impact of scientific publications. Scientometrics 5: pp. 59-74
- Relative indicators and relational charts for comparative assessment of publication output and citation impact
Volume 9, Issue 5-6 , pp 281-291
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors