Finding thek smallest spanning trees
- David Eppstein
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We give improved solutions for the problem of generating thek smallest spanning trees in a graph and in the plane. Our algorithm for general graphs takes timeO(m logβ(m, n)=k 2); for planar graphs this bound can be improved toO(n+k 2). We also show that thek best spanning trees for a set of points in the plane can be computed in timeO(min(k 2 n+n logn,k 2+kn log(n/k))). Thek best orthogonal spanning trees in the plane can be found in timeO(n logn+kn log log(n/k)+k 2).
- Aggarwal, A., Guibas, L. J., Saxe, J., Shor, P. W. (1989) A linear time algorithm for computing the Voronoi diagram of a convex polygon. Discrete and Comput. Geom. 4: pp. 591-604
- A. Aggarwal, H. Imai, N. Katoh, and S. Suri,Finding k points with minimum diameter and related problems, J. Algorithms, to appear.
- A. Aggarwal and J. Wein,Computational Geometry, MIT LCS Research Seminar Series 3, 1988.
- Blum, M., Floyd, R. W., Pratt, V. R., Rivest, R. L., Tarjan, R. E. (1972) Time bounds for selection. J. Comput. Syst. Sci. 7: pp. 448-461
- H. Booth and J. Westbrook,Linear algorithms for analysis of minimum spanning and shortest path trees in planar graphs, Tech. Rep. TR-763, Department of Computer Science, Yale University, Feb. 1990.
- Burns, R. N., Haff, C. E. (1974) A ranking problem in graphs. 5th Southeast Conf. Combinatorics, Graph Theory and Computing 19: pp. 461-470
- Camerini, P. M., Fratta, L., Maffioli, F. (1974) The k shortest spanning trees of a graph. IEEE-LCE Politechnico di Milano, Italy
- Cheriton, D., Tarjan, R. E. (1976) Finding minimum spanning trees. SIAM J. Comput. 5: pp. 310-313
- L. P. Chew and S. Fortune,Sorting helps for Voronoi diagrams, 13th Symp. Mathematical Progr., Japan, 1988.
- Eppstein, D. (1991) Offline algorithms for dynamic minimum spanning tree problems. 2nd Worksh. Algorithms and Data Structures, Springer Verlag LNCS 519: pp. 392-399
- D. Eppstein, Z. Galil, R. Giancarlo, and G. F. Italiano,Sparse dynamic programming, 1st ACM-SIAM Symp. Discrete Algorithms, San Francisco, 1990. 513–522.
- D. Eppstein, G. F. Italiano, R. Tamassia, R. E. Tarjan, J. Westbrook, and M. Yung,Maintenance of a minimum spanning forest in a dynamic planar graph, 1st ACM-SIAM Symp. Discrete Algorithms, 1990, 1–11.
- Frederickson, G. N. (1985) Data structures for on-line updating of minimum spanning trees. SIAM J. Comput. 14: pp. 781-798
- G. N. Frederickson,Ambivalent data structures for dynamic 2-edge-connectivity and k smallest spanning trees, 32nd IEEE Conf. Foundations of Computer Science, 1991, to appear.
- Gabow, H. N. (1977) Two algorithms for generating weighted spanning trees in order. SIAM J. Comput. 6: pp. 139-150
- Gabow, H. N., Galil, Z., Spencer, T. H., Tarjan, R. E. (1986) Efficient algorithms for minimum spanning trees on directed and undirected graphs. Combinatorica 6: pp. 109-122
- Gabow, H. N., Stallman, M. (1985) Efficient algorithms for graphic matroid intersection and parity. 12th Int. Conf. Automata, Languages, and Programming, Springer-Verlag LNCS 194: pp. 210-220
- Katoh, N., Ibaraki, T., Mine, H. (1981) An algorithm for finding k minimum spanning trees. SIAM J. Comput. 10: pp. 247-255
- E. W. Mayr and C. G. Plaxton,On the spanning trees of weighted graphs, manuscript, 1990.
- Sarnak, N., Tarjan, R. E. (1986) Planar point location using persistent search trees. C. ACM 29: pp. 669-679
- Tarjan, R. E. (1979) Applications of path compression on balanced trees. J. ACM 26: pp. 690-715
- Emde Boas, P. (1977) Preserving order in a forest in less than logarithmic time. 16th IEEE Symp. Found. Comput. Sci. 6: pp. 80-82
- Finding thek smallest spanning trees
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 32, Issue 2 , pp 237-248
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- David Eppstein (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Information and Computer Science, University of California, 92717, Irvine, CA, USA