Amortized analysis of some disk scheduling algorithms: SSTF, SCAN, andN-StepSCAN
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The amortized analysis is a useful tool for analyzing the time-complexity of performing a sequence of operations. The disk scheduling problem involves a sequence of requests in general. In this paper, the performances of representative disk scheduling algorithms,SSTF, SCAN, andN-StepSCAN, are analyzed in the amortized sense. A lower bound of the amortized complexity for the disk scheduling problem is also derived. According to our analysis,SCAN is not only better thanSSTF andN-StepSCAN, but also an optimal algorithm. Various authors have studied the disk scheduling problem based on some probability models and concluded that the most acceptable performance is obtained fromSCAN. Our result therefore supports their conclusion.
- Bentley, J. L., McGeoch, C. C. (1985) Amortized analyses of self-organizing sequential heuristics. Comm. ACM 28: pp. 404-411 CrossRef
- T. S. Chen, W. P. Yang and R. C. T. Lee,Amortized analyses of disk scheduling algorithms: SSTF and SCAN, Proc. of National Computer Symposium, Taiwan, R.O.C., (1989), pp. 831–836.
- Chen, T. S., Yang, W. P. (1991) Amortized analysis for a continuum of disk scheduling V(R). Proc. of International Conference on Information and Systems. AMSE, Hangzhou, China, pp. 1277-1280
- Coffman, E. G., Klimko, L. A., Ryan, B. (1972) Analysis of scanning policies for reducing disc seek times. SIAM Journal on Computing 1: pp. 269-279 CrossRef
- Deitel, H. M. (1990) Operating Systems. Addison-Wesley Publishing Co., Reading Mass.
- Denning, P. J. (1967) Effects of scheduling on file memory operations. Proc. AFIPS, Montvale, N.J.
- M. L. Fredman, R. Sedgewick, D. D. Sleator and R. E. Tarjan,The pairing heap: a new form of self-adjusting heap, Algorithmica No. 1 (1986), pp. 111–129.
- Frank, H. (1969) Analysis and optimization of disk storage devices for time sharing systems. J. ACM 16: pp. 602-620 CrossRef
- Geist, R., Daniel, S. (1987) A continuum of disk scheduling algorithms. ACM Trans. Computer Syst. 5: pp. 77-92 CrossRef
- E. F. Grove,The harmonic online k-server algorithm is competitive, In Proc. 23rd ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, (1991), pp. 260–266.
- Hofri, M. (1980) Disk scheduling FCFS vs. SSTF revisited. Comm. ACM 23: pp. 645-653 CrossRef
- R. C. T. Lee, R. C. Chang and S. S. Tseng,Introduction to the Design and Analysis of Algorithms, Prentice Hall, (1989).
- M. Manasse, L. A. McGeoch and D. D. Sleator,Competitive algorithms for on-line problems, In Proc. 20th Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, (1988), pp. 322–333.
- Manasse, M., McGeoch, L. A., Sleator, D. D. (1990) Competitive algorithms for server problems. Journal of Algorithms 11: pp. 208-230 CrossRef
- Moret, B. M. E., Shapior, H. D. (1991) Algorithms from P to NP, Volume I: Design and Efficiency. The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc., Redwood City, CA 94065
- P. W. Purdom, Jr. and C. A. Brown,The Analysis of Algorithms, CBS College Publishing, (1985).
- Silberschatz, A., Peterson, J. L. (1988) Operating System Concepts. Addison-Wesley Publishing, Reading Mass.
- Sleator, D. D., Tarjan, R. E. (1985) Self-adjusting binary search trees. J. Assoc. Comput. Mach. 32: pp. 652-686
- Sleator, D. D., Tarjan, R. E. (1986) Self-adjusting heaps. SIAM J. Comput. 15: pp. 52-69 CrossRef
- Tarjan, R. E. (1983) Data structure and network algorithms. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Tarjan, R. E. (1985) Amortized computational complexity. SIAM J. Alg. Disc. Math. 6: pp. 306-318 CrossRef
- Teorey, T. J., Pinkerton, T. B. (1972) A comparative analysis of disk scheduling policies. Comm. ACM 15: pp. 177-194 CrossRef
- Wilhelm, N. C. (1976) An anomaly in disk scheduling: a comparison of FCFS and SSTF seek scheduling using an empirical model for disk accesses. Comm. ACM 19: pp. 13-17 CrossRef
- Yang, W. P., Chen, T. S. (1989) The study of amortized complexity on disk system. National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- Amortized analysis of some disk scheduling algorithms: SSTF, SCAN, andN-StepSCAN
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 32, Issue 4 , pp 546-558
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- amortized analysis
- disk scheduling
- on-line problem
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC
- 2. Department of Computer and Information Science, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC
- 3. Department of Computer Science, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC