Cytotoxicity of human phagocytes studiedin vitro in a novel model based on Neutral Red absorbtion
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The aim of these investigations was to establish a model for the study of neutrophil (NEU) and monocyte (MO) mediated cytotoxicity (TOX), and to study the protective actions of model protease inhibitor, peroxide scavengers and glucocorticoids in this model. Confluent human fibroblasts were used as target cells (T) and NEU and MO were used as effector cells (E), ratio E/T was 5–10∶1. After triggering E with PMA (16–48 nM) for about 24 hours, remaining viable T were detected by incorporation of Neutral Red (NR). Oxidant-induced TOX was performed with H2O2 and t-BuOOH. In contrast to MO TOX, NEU TOX was inhibited by antiprotease and scavengers. On the other hand, MO TOX was inhibited by glucocorticosteroids. This indicates different TOX mechanisms by NEU and MO.
- S. J. Weiss,Tissue destruction by neutrophils. The New England Journal of Medicine320, 365–375 (1989).
- P. M. Henson, R. B. Johnston,Tissue injury in inflammation. Journal of Clinical Investigation79, 669–674 (1987).
- E. Borenfreund, J. A. Puerner,Toxicity determined in vitro by morphological alterations and neutral red absorbtion. Toxicology Letters24, 119–124 (1985). CrossRef
- J. A. Kern, R. J. Lamb, J. C. Reed, R. P. Daniele, P. C. Nowell,Dexamethasone inhibition of Interleukin 1β production by human monocytes. Posttranscriptional mechanisms. J. Clin. Invest.81, 237–244 (1988).
- J. M. H. Debets, T. J. M. Ruers, M. P. M. H. van der Linden,Corticosteroids on the secretion of tumor necrosis factor (TNF) by monocytes is dependent on the stimulus inducing TNF synthesis. Clin. Exp. Immunol.78, 224–229 (1989).
- Cytotoxicity of human phagocytes studiedin vitro in a novel model based on Neutral Red absorbtion
Agents and Actions
Volume 34, Issue 1-2 , pp 35-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors