Neurofibrillary tangles and histamine-containing neurons in Alzheimer hypothalamus
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The location of histamine-immunoreactive (IR) cell bodies in normal aged human brain and in cases of Alzheimer's disease (AD) were compared to the distribution of neurofibrillary tangles (NFT). Cryostat sections were fixed with carbodiimide and processed for histamine-immunohistochemistry using the PAP technique. NFT were visualized in the same sections using thioflavin. Histamine-IR cell bodies in human brain were concentrated in the tuberomammillary (TM) nucleus that embodied a major part of the hypothalamus. Although located in similar large profiles and mainly concentrated in the TM area, the numerous hypothalamic NFT in AD were seldom found within the histamine-IR neurons.
- P. Panula, M. S. Airaksinen, U. Pirvola and E. Kotilainen,Histamine-containing neuronal system in human brain. Neuroscience34, 129–132 (1990).
- C. B. Saper and D. C. German,Hypothalamic pathology in Alzheimer's disease. Neurosci. Lett.74, 364–370 (1987).
- J. A. Hardy, D. M. A. Mann, P. Wester and B. Winblad,An integrative hypothesis concerning the pathogenesis and progression of Alzheimer's disease. Neurobiol. Aging7, 489–502 (1986).
- P. Panula and M. S. Airaksinen,The histaminergic neuronal system as revealed with antisera against histamine. InHistaminergic neurons, their functions and morphology, (Ed. T. Watanabe and H. Wada), CRC-Press, Boca (1990, in press).
- R. Diepen,Der Hypothalamus. InHandbuch der Mikroskopischen Anatomie des Menschen, VII Teil (Ed. W. V. Mollendorf), pp. 1–525, Springer, Verlag, Berlin 1962.
- R. Cacabelos, A. Yamatodani, H. Niigawa, S. Hariguchi, K. Tada, T. Nishimura, H. Wada, L. Brandes and J. Pearson.Brain histamine in Alzheimer's disease. Meth. Find. Exp. Clin. Pharmacol.11, 353–360 (1989).
- I. M. Mazurkiewicz-Kwilecki and S. Nsonwah.Changes in the regional brain histamine and histidine levels in postmortem brains of Alzheimer patients. Can. J. Physiol. Pharmacol.67, 75–78 (1988).
- Neurofibrillary tangles and histamine-containing neurons in Alzheimer hypothalamus
Agents and Actions
Volume 33, Issue 1-2 , pp 104-107
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors