Convergence and stability of implicit runge-kutta methods for systems with multiplicative noise
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A class ofimplicit Runge-Kutta schemes for stochastic differential equations affected bymultiplicative Gaussian white noise is shown to be optimal with respect to global order of convergence in quadratic mean. A test equation is proposed in order to investigate the stability of discretization methods for systems of this kind. Herestability is intended in a truly probabilistic sense, as opposed to the recently introduced extension of A-stability to the stochastic context, given for systems with additive noise. Stability regions for the optimal class are also given.
- L. Arnold,Stochastic Differential Equations, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1974.
- J. C. Butcher,The Numerical Analysis of Ordinary Differential Equations, John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, 1987.
- J. M. C. Clark and R. J. Cameron,The maximum rate of convergence of discrete approximations for stochastic differential equations, in B. Grigelionis (ed.),Stochastic Differential Systems, Lecture Notes in Control and Information Systems, 25, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1980.
- L. Devroye,Nonuniform Random Variate Generation, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1986.
- D. B. Hernandez and R. Spigler,A-stability of Runge-Kutta methods for systems with additive noise, BIT 32, 620–633 (1992).
- J. R. Klauder and W. P. Petersen,Numerical integration of multiplicative noise SDE's, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 22, 1153–1166 (1985).
- P. E. Kloeden and E. Platen,A survey of numerical methods for stochastic differential equations, J. Stoch. Hydrology and Hydraulics, 3, 155–178 (1989).
- P. E. Kloeden and E. Platen,The Numerical Solution of Stochastic Differential Equations, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1991.
- R. S. Liptser and A. N. Shiryayev,Statistics of Random Processes, Vol. I, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1977.
- A. G. Malliaris,Ito calculus in financial decision making, SIAM Rev. 25 481–496 (1983).
- G. Maruyama,Continuous Markov processes and stochastic equations, Rend. Circ. Mat. Palermo, 4, 48–90 (1955).
- E. J. McShane,Stochastic Calculus and Stochastic Models, Academic Press, New York, 1974.
- B. Øksendal,Stochastic Differential Equations, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1985.
- E. Pardoux and D. Talay,Discretization and simulation of stochastic differential equations, Acta Applicandae Math., 3, 23–47 (1985).
- PW. M. Press, B. P. Flannery, S. A. Teukolsky and W. T. Vetterling,Numerical Recipes: the Art of Scientific Computing, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1988.
- W. Rümelin,Numerical treatment of stochastic differential equations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal, 19, 604–613 (1982).
- J. M. Sancho, M. San Miguel, S. L. Katz and J. D. Gunton,Analytical and numerical studies of multiplicative noise, Phys. Rev. A 26, 1589–1609 (1982).
- A. Schenzle and H. Brand,Multiplicative stochastic processes in statistical physics, Phys. Rev., A20, 1628–1647 (1979).
- H. Sussmann,On the gap between deterministic and stochastic ordinary differential equations, Ann. Prob. 6, 19–41 (1978).
- Convergence and stability of implicit runge-kutta methods for systems with multiplicative noise
BIT Numerical Mathematics
Volume 33, Issue 4 , pp 654-669
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- 65L20 (primary)
- Numerical stability
- Runge-Kutta methods
- implicit methods
- stochastic differential equations
- stochastic stability
- Industry Sectors