The occurrence of synchrony in the North American fireflyPhotinus carolinus (Coleoptera: Lampyridae)
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Synchronous flashing has been described for some Southeast Asian fireflies but has rarely been reported in North American fireflies. Our field observations indicated thatPhotinus carolinus flash synchronously. The flash pattern of individualP. carolinus was characterized by a burst of five to eight flashes over a period of approximately 4 s. These flash bursts were repeated about every 12 s. Groups of fireflies comprised individuals exhibiting this species-specific flash pattern. Remarkably, members of the group flashed synchronously: Flash bursts started and stopped at the same time and the flashes among individuals occurred at the same time as well. We used low-light level videography to examine this behavior in caged groups of (3 or 10) fireflies for synchronic flashing. The occurrence of concurrent rhythmic group flashing satisfies the criteria for synchrony as defined by Buck (1988). The intermittent nature of the bursts of flashes shown byP. carolinus makes this a discontinuous synchrony. The mechanisms underlying discontinuous synchrony are not known.
- Ballantyne, L. A. (1987). Further revisional studies on the firefly genusPteroptyx Oliver (Coleoptera: Lampyridae: Luciolinae: Luciolini).Trans. Am. Entomol. Soc. 113: 117–170.
- Ballantyne, L. A., and McLean, M. R. (1970). Revisional studies on the firefly genusPteroptyx Oliver (Coleoptera: Lampyridae: Luciolinae: Luciolini).Trans. Am. Entomol. Soc. 96: 223–305.
- Buck, J. (1935). Synchronous flashing of fireflies experimentally induced.Science 81: 339–340.
- Buck, J. (1937). Flashing of fireflies in Jamaica.Nature 139: 801.
- Buck, J. (1938). Synchronous rhythmic flashing of fireflies.Q. Rev. Biol. 13: 301–314.
- Buck, J. (1988). Synchronous flashing of fireflies II.Q. Rev. Biol. 63: 263–281.
- Buck, J., and Buck, E. (1968). Mechanism of rhythmic synchronous flashing of firefliesScience 159: 1319–1327.
- Buck, J., and Buck, E. (1978). Toward a functional interpretation of synchronous flashing in fireflies.Am. Nat. 112: 471–492.
- Buck, J., and Buck, E. (1980). Flash synchronization as a tool and enabler in firefly courtship competition.Am. Nat. 116: 591–593.
- Carlson, A. D., and Copeland, J. (1972). Photic inhibition of brain stimulated firefly flashes.Am. Zool. 12: 479–487.
- Carlson, A. D., and Copeland, J. (1984). Flash communication in fireflies.Q. Rev. Biol. 60: 415–436.
- Carlson, A. D., and Copeland, J. (1989). Flash competition in malePhotinus macdermotti fireflies.Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 22: 271–276.
- Case, J. (1984). Vision in mating behavior of fireflies. In Lewis, T. (ed.),Insect Communication, Academic Press, London, pp. 195–222.
- Case, J., and Trinkle, M. S. (1968). Light inhibition of flashing in the firefly,Photuris missouriensis.Biol. Bull. 135: 476–485.
- Cicero, J. M. (1983). Lek assembly and flash synchrony in the Arizona fireflyPhotinus knulli (Green).Coleopt. Bull. 37: 318–342.
- Granit, R. (1955).Receptors and Sensory Perception, Yale University Press, New Haven, CT.
- Hanson, F. E. (1978). Comparative study of firefly pacemakers.Fed. Proc. 37: 2158–2164.
- Hudson, G. S. (1918). Concerted flashing of fireflies.Science 48: 573–575.
- Lee, D. (1990). Lights in the forest.Wildlife N. C. 54: 23–27.
- Lloyd, J. (1966). Studies on the flash communication system ofPhotinus fireflies.Misc. Publ. Mus. Zool. Univ. Mich. 130: 1–95.
- Moiseff, A., and Copeland, J. (1992). Transportable computer-based system for studying synchronous flashing in fireflies.Am. Zool. 32: 11.
- Otte, D., and Smiley, J. (1977). Synchrony in Texas fireflies with a consideration of male interaction models.Biol. Behav. 2: 143–158.
- Porter, E. (1934). Fireflies flashing in unison.Sci. Am. 151: 159–160.
- The occurrence of synchrony in the North American fireflyPhotinus carolinus (Coleoptera: Lampyridae)
Journal of Insect Behavior
Volume 8, Issue 3 , pp 381-394
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links