Immunological modulation of cholinergic histamine release in isolated rat mast cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Isolated purified rat mast cells release histamine when exposed to acetylcholine according to different patterns of sensitivity.
The degree of histamine release is correlated with the levels of reaginic antibodies presumably bound to the mast cell membrane. In fact, mast cells passively sensitized with mouse myeloma IgE against egg albumin or DNP2-lysine, react to acetylcholine with a release of histamine, which is proportional to the IgE concentration in the incubation medium.
The histamine release induced by acetylcholine is due to the stimulation of a musearinic receptor. Accordingly, acetylthiocholine is unable to evoke histamine release and preincubation of sensitized cells with atropine fully inhibits the cholinergic histamine release. The histamine release evoked by acetylcholine is potentiated by the exposure of sensitized cells to the specific antigen.
The present results suggest that sensitization of mast cells is a crucial factor in modulating their sensitivity to acetylcholine.
- R. Fantozzi, E. Masini, P. Blandina, P.F. Mannaioni andT. Bani-Sacchi,Release of histamine from rat mast cells by acetylcholine, Nature273, 473–474 (1978).
- E. Masini, P. Blandina, R. Fantozzi, S. Brunelleschi andP.F. Mannaioni,Correlation between cholinergic histamine release and quinuclidinylbenzilate ([3 H]-QNB)binding in mast cell membranes, Agents and Actions11, 55–59 (1981).
- W. Kazimierczak, B. Adams andC.Z. Maslinski,Failure of acetylcholine to release histamine from rat mast cells, Agents and Actions10, 1–3 (1980).
- W. Schmutzler, G. Poblete-Freundt, K. Rauch andW. Schoenfeld,Response to immunological or cholinergic stimulation of isolated mast cells from man, guinea-pig and rat, Monogr. Allergy14, 288–292 (1979).
- A.A. Mathè, S. Yen, R. Sohn andP. Hedquist,Release of prostaglandins and histamine from sensitized and anaphylactic guinea-pig lungs. Changes in cyclic AMP levels, Biochem. Pharmac.26, 181–188 (1977). CrossRef
- E. Masini, R. Fantozzi, A. Conti, P. Blandina, S. Brunelleschi andP.F. Mannaioni,Immunological modulation of cholinergic histamine in isolated purified rat mast cells, the European Histamine Research Society, Proceeding of Thirteenth Meeting in Florence, Italy, May 16–19, p. 24 (1984).
- B. Uvnäs andJ.L. Thon,Isolation of ‘biologically intact’ mast cells, Exp. Cell Res.18, 612–620 (1959).
- P. Blandina, R. Fantozzi, P.F. Mannaioni andE. Masini,Characteristics of histamine release evoked by acetylcholine in isolated rat mast cells, J. Physiol., Lond.301, 281–293 (1980).
- M. Kaliner, R.P. Orange andK.F. Austen,Immunological release of histamine and slow reacting substances of anaphylaxis from human lung. IV. Enhancement by cholinergic and alpha adrenergic stimulation, J. Exp. Med.136, 556–567 (1972). CrossRef
- J. Heymanns, H. Behrendt andW. Schmutzeler,Comparative studies of mast cells from normal (non-immunized) and actively sensitized dogs, Agents and Actions12, 192–198 (1982). CrossRef
- A. Sydbom, T. Karlsson andB. Unvnäs,Effect of sensitization and non-antibody IgE on 48/80 induced histamine release from isolated rat mast cells, Acta Physiol. Scand.109, 131–136 (1980).
- Immunological modulation of cholinergic histamine release in isolated rat mast cells
Agents and Actions
Volume 16, Issue 3-4 , pp 152-154
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors