Anti-inflammatory activity and inhibition of arachidonic acid metabolism by flavonoids
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A group of flavonoids isolated from medicinal plants and which are selective inhibitors of lipoxygenase activityin vitro: sideritoflavone, cirsiliol, hypolaetin-8-O-β-d-glucoside, hypolaetin, oroxindin, quercetagetin-7-O-β-d-glucoside, gossypin, hibifolin and gossypetin, besides leucocyanidol, have been studied for their effects on acute responses induced by carrageenin in mice. The oral administration of flavonoids to mice inhibited dose-dependently the development of paw oedema at 1, 3 and 5 h after carrageenin injection. A similar administration of flavonoids induced a dose-dependent inhibition of leukocyte accumulation in inflammatory exudates following intraperitoneal injection of carrageenin into mice. Some of the flavonoids exhibited a potency against leukocyte infiltration similar to that seen for inhibition of carrageenin oedema at 3 h of induction. In agreement with data reported in rats, indomethacin was much more effective on inhibition of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) formation than on leukocyte infiltration in mice. The selectivity of flavonoids towards lipoxygenase is not retainedin vivo since they behave as dual inhibitors of PGE2 and leukotriene B4 (LTB4) formation in peritoneal exudates. Our data support the inhibition of arachidonic acid metabolism as one of the mechanisms by which flavonoids exert their anti-inflammatory effects.
- B. Havsteen,Flavonoids, a class of natural products of high pharmacological potency. Biochem. Pharmacol.32, 1141–1148 (1983). CrossRef
- M. J. Alcaraz and M. L. Ferrándiz,Modification of arachidonic metabolism by flavonoids. J. Ethnopharmacol.21, 209–229 (1987). CrossRef
- M. J. Alcaraz and M. J. Jiménez,Flavonoids as anti-inflammatory agents. Fitoterapia59, 25–38 (1988).
- A. Villar, M. A. Gascó and M. J. Alcaraz,Anti-inflammatory and anti-ulcer properties of hypolaetin-8-glucoside, a novel plant flavonoid. J. Pharm. Pharmacol.36, 820–823 (1984).
- M. J. Jiménez, M. J. Alcaraz, M. L. Ferrándiz and A. Villar,Anti-inflammatory activity of a flavone from Sideritis leucantha. Planta Med.52, 541 (1986).
- T. Yoshimoto, M. Furukawa, S. Yamamoto, T. Horie and S. Watanabe-Kohno,Flavonoids: potent inhibitors of arachidonate-5-lipoxygenase. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun.116, 612–618 (1983).
- M. J. Alcaraz and J. R. S. Hoult,Actions of flavonoids and the novel anti-inflammatory flavone, hypolaetin-8-glucoside, on prostaglandin biosynthesis and inactivation. Biochem. Pharmacol.34, 2477–2482 (1985). CrossRef
- M. A. Moroney, M. J. Alcaraz, R. A. Forder, F. Carey and J. R. S. Hoult,Selectivity of neutrophil 5-lipoxygenase and cyclo-oxygenase inhibition by an anti-inflammatory flavonoid glycoside and related aglycone flavonoids. J. Pharm. Pharmacol.40, 787–792 (1988).
- M. L. Ferrándiz, A. G. Ramachandran Nair and M. J. Alcaraz,Inhibition of sheep platelets arachidonate metabolism by flavonoids from Spanish and Indian medicinal herbs. Pharmazie45, 206–208 (1990).
- E. Sugishita, S. Amagaya and Y. Ogihara,Anti-inflammatory testing methods: comparative evaluation of mice and rats. J. Pharm. Dyn.4, 565–575 (1981).
- D. E. Griswold, P. J. Marshall, E. F. Webb, R. Godfrey, J. Newton Jr., M. J. Di Martino, H. M. Sarau, J. G. Gleason, G. Poste and N. Hanna,SK&F 86002: a structurally novel anti-inflammatory agent that inhibits lipoxygenase- and cyclo-oxygenase-mediated metabolism of arachidonic acid. Biochem. Pharmacol.36, 3463–3470 (1987). CrossRef
- C. A. Winter, E. A. Risley and G. W. Nuss,Carrageenin-induced oedema in the hind paw of the rat as an assay for anti-inflammatory drugs. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.111, 544–547 (1962).
- I. G. Otterness and D. J. Gans,Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs: an analysis of the relationship between laboratory animal and clinical doses, including species scaling. J. Pharm. Sci.77, 790–795 (1988).
- L. A. Griffiths,Mammalian metabolism of flavonoids. InThe flavonoids: advances in research. (Eds. J. B. Harbone and T. J. Mabry) pp. 681–718, Chapman & Hall, London 1982.
- A. M. Hackett,The metabolism of flavonoid compounds in mammals. Prog. Clin. Biol. Res.213, 177–194 (1986).
- F. A. Kuehl Jr. and R. W. Egan,Prostaglandins, arachidonic acid and inflammation. Science210, 978–984 (1980).
- J. R. Vane,Inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis as a mechanism of action for aspirin-like drugs. Nature231, 232–235 (1971).
- T. N. Lo, W. F. Saul and S. S. Lau,Carrageenan-stimulated release of arachidonic acid and of lactate dehydrogenase from rat pleural cells. Biochem. Pharmacol.36, 2405–2413 (1987). CrossRef
- G. A. Higgs, K. E. Eakins, K. G. Mugridge, S. Moncada and J. R. Vane,The effects of non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs on leukocyte migration in carrageenin-induced inflammation. Eur. J. Pharmacol.66, 81–86 (1980). CrossRef
- G. A. Higgs,The effects of lipoxygenase inhibitors in anaphylactic and inflammatory responses in vivo. Prostagl. Leukotr. Med.13, 89–92 (1984). CrossRef
- G. A. Higgs, R. L. Follenfant and L. G. Garland,Selective inhibition of arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase by novel acetohydroxamic acids: effects on acute inflammatory responses. Br. J. Pharmacol.94, 547–551 (1988).
- R. A. Kreisle, C. W. Parker, G. L. Griffin, R. M. Senior and M. W. Stenson,Studies of leukotriene B 4-specific binding and function in rat polymorphonuclear leukocytes: absence of a chemotactic response. J. Immunol.134, 3356–3363 (1985).
- S. J. Foster, M. E. McCormick, A. Howarth and D. Aked,Leukocyte recruitment in the subcutaneous sponge implant model of acute inflammation in the rat is not mediated by leukotriene B 4. Biochem. Pharmacol.35, 1709–1717 (1986). CrossRef
- M. Di Rosa, J. M. Papadimitriou and D. A. Willoughby,A histopathological and pharmacological analysis of the mode of action of non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. J. Pathol.105, 239–256 (1971). CrossRef
- M. J. Alcaraz and A. Villar,Anti-inflammatory activity of natural phenolic compounds. InHandbook of free radicals and antioxidants in biomedicine, vol. 2. (Eds. J. Miquel, H. Weber and A. T. Quintanilha) pp. 77–85, CRC Press, Boca Raton 1989.
- Anti-inflammatory activity and inhibition of arachidonic acid metabolism by flavonoids
Agents and Actions
Volume 32, Issue 3-4 , pp 283-288
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors