The oscillation of a spheroid along its axis in a non-Newtonian fluid
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The present paper investigates the nature of the fluid flow when a spheroid is suspended in an infinitely extending elastico-viscous fluid defined by the constitutive equations given byOldroyd orRivlin andEricksen, and is made to perform small amplitude oscillations along its axis. The solution of the vector wave equation is expressed in terms of the solution of the corresponding scalar wave equation, without the use ofHeine's function or spheroidal wave functions. Two special cases (i) a sphere and (ii) a spheroid of small ellipticity, are studied in detail.
- Lamb, H., Hydrodynamics (New York 1938).
- Buchanan, J., Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. 1891.
- Bhatnagar, P. L., Secondary flows in non-Newtonian fluids. To appear in J. Math. Phys. Sci. IIT., Madras, India.
- Ferraro, V. C. A. andC. Plumpton, Introduction to Magnetofluid dynamics (OUP, 1961).
- The oscillation of a spheroid along its axis in a non-Newtonian fluid
Volume 8, Issue 4 , pp 465-471
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors