Comparative absorption of zinc picolinate, zinc citrate and zinc gluconate in humans
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The comparative absorption of zinc after oral administration of three different complexed forms was studied in 15 healthy human volunteers in a double-blind four-period crossover trial. The individuals were randomly divided into four groups. Each group rotated for four week periods through a random sequence of oral supplementation including: zinc picolinate, zinc citrate, and zinc gluconate (equivalent to 50 mg elemental zinc per day) and placebo. Zinc was measured in hair, urine, erythrocyte and serum before and after each period. At the end of four weeks hair, urine and erythrocyte zinc levels rose significantly (p<0.005, p<0.001, and p<0.001) during zinc picolinate administration. There was no significant change in any of these parameters from zinc gluconate, zinc citrate or placebo administration. There was a small, insignificant rise in serum zinc during zinc picolinate, zinc citrate and placebo supplementation. The results of this study suggest that zinc absorption in humans can be improved by complexing zinc with picolinic acid.
Supplementary Material (0)
- H. H. Sandstead,Zinc nutrition in the United States. Am. J. Clin. Nutr.26, 1251–1260 (1973).
- J. M. Holden, W. R. Wolf and W. Mertz,Zinc and copper in self selected diets. J. Am. Diet. Assoc.75, 23–8 (1979).
- Recommended Dietary Allowances. Washington D. C.: National Academy of Sciences (1980).
- A. S. Prassad,Zinc in human nutrition. Crit. Rev. Clin. Lab. Sci.8, 1–80 (1977).
- G. W. Evans, C. L. Grace and H. J. Yotova,A proposed mechanism of zinc absorption in the rat. Am. J. Physiol.228, 501–505 (1975).
- N. W. Solomons,Biological availability of zinc in humans. Am. J. Clin. Nutr.35, 1048–1075 (1982).
- W. T. Johnson and G. W. Evans,Tissue uptake of zinc in rats following the administration of zinc dipicolinate or zinc histidine. J. Nutr.112, 914–919 (1982).
- G. W. Evans,Normal and abnormal zinc absorption in man and animals: The tryptophan connection. Nutr. Rev.38, 137–141 (1980).
- G. W. Evans and E. C. Johnson,Zinc. absorption in rats fed a low-protein diet supplemented with tryptophan or picolinc acid.
- G. W. Evans and P. E. JohnsonsCharacterization and quantitation of a zinc-binding ligand in human milk. Ediatr. Res.14, 876–880 (1980).
- L. S. Hurley, B. Lonnerdal and A. G. Stanislowski,Zinc citrate, human milk and acrodermatitis enteropathica. Lancet.1, 667–668 (1979).
- B. Lonnerdal, A. G. Stanislowski and L. S. Hurley,Isolation of a low molecular weight zinc binding ligand from human milk. J. Inorg. Biochem.12, 71–78 (1980).
- C. D. Eckhert, M. V. Sloan, H. R. Duncan and L. S. Hurley,Zinc binding: A difference between human and bovine milk. Science195, 789–790 (1977).
- M. K. Song and N. F. Adham,Role of prostaglandin E2 in zinc absorption in rats. Am. J. Physiol.234, E99–105 (1978).
- G. W. Evans and P. E. Johnson,Zinc binding factor in Acrodermatitis enteropathica. Lancet2, 1310 (1976).
- C. Hahan and G. W. Evans,Identification of a low molecular weight complex in rat intestines. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.144, 794–796 (1973).
- R. M. Barnes,Determination of Trace Elements in Biological Materials by Inductively Coupled Plasma Spectroscopy with Novel Chelating Resins. Trace. Element. Res.6, 93–103 (1984).
- J. Tzavares and A. D. Shendrik,An ICP analytical scheme to screen environmental samples for metals. Amer. Lab. 50–65 (1984) July.
- R. F. Suddendork and G. L. Smith,ICP emission spectroscopy: Concepts and clinical applications. J. Clin. Lab. Automation3(4), 256–262 (1983).
- G. W. Evans and W. C. Johnson,Effect of iron, Vitamin B-6 and picolinic acid on zinc absorption in the rat. J. Nutr.111, 69–75 (1981).
- G. W. Evans and E. C. Johnson,Growth stimulating effect of picolinic acid added to rat diets. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med.165, 457–461 (1980).
- I. Krieger,Picolinic acid in the treatment of disorders requiring zinc supplementation. Nutr. Rev.38, 148–150 (1980).
- C. J. Seal and F. W. Heaton,Chemical factors affecting the intestinal absorption of zinc in vitro and in vivo. Brit. J. Nutr.50, 317–324 (1983).
- L. S. Hurley and B. Lonnerdal,Zinc binding in human milk: citrate versus picolinate. Nutr. Rev.40, 65–71 (1982).
- A. K. Babcock, R. I. Henkin, R. L. Aamodt, D. M. Foster and M. Berman,Effects of oral zinc loading on zinc metabolism in humans II. In vivokinetics. Metabolism (4)31, 335–347 (1982).
- B. Sandstrom, B. Arvidsson, A. Cederbled and E. Bjorn-Rasmusen,Zinc absorption from composite meals. I. The significance of wheat extraction rate, zinc calcium and protein content in meals based on bread. Am. J. Clin. Nutr.33, 739–745 (1980).
- C. E. Casey, P. A. Walraven and K. M. Hambridge,Zinc absorption and plasma response. Am. J. Clin. Nutr.34, 1443–1444 (1981).
- R. J. Cousins,Regulatory aspects of zinc absorption: role of intracellular ligand. Am. J. Clin. Nutr.32, 339–345 (1979).
- R. J. Cousins,Regulatory aspects of zinc absorption, relationship to zinc nutrition in animals. In: Proc Cornell Nutr Conf. Ithaca NY: Cornell Univ. Press 5–8 (1979).
- W. J. Miller and P. E. Stoke,Zinc metabolism and homeostasis — some newer concepts. Clin. Appl. of Zinc. Metab. Thomas (1973).
- S. B. Deeming and C. W. Weber,Evaluation of hair analysis for determination of zinc status using rats. Am. J. Clin. Nutr.30, 2047–2052 (1977).
- L. M. Klevay,Hair as a biopsy material. Arch. Intern. Med.138, 1127–1128 (1978).
- M. Laker,On determining trace element levels in man: the uses of blood and hair. Lancet.31, 261–262 (1982) July.
- K. M. Hambridge, C. Hambridge, M. Jacobs and J. D. Baum,Low levels of zinc in hair, anorexia, poor growth and hypogeusia in children. Pediatr. Res.6, 868–874 (1972).
- K. E. Bergman, M. D. Makosch and K. H. Tews,Abnormalities of hair zinc concentration in mothers of newborn infants with spina bifida. Am. J. Clin. Nutr.30, 2145–2150 (1980).
About this Article
- Comparative absorption of zinc picolinate, zinc citrate and zinc gluconate in humans
Agents and Actions
Volume 21, Issue 1-2 , pp 223-228
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors