A new method for detecting histamine release
Glass microfibres have been found to bind histamine with high affinity and selectivity. A new test for measuring basophil hisamine release has been developed using the glass microfibres as a solid phase. Glass microfibres are crushed and fixed to the bottom of microtitre plates with a water-soluble glue. Histamine release is performed in the glass microfibre-prepared microtitre plates by challenging 100 μl washed blood with 20 μl antigen per well for 90 min at 37°C. Released histamine is bound with high affinity to the glass microfibres, since 90% of histamine in the solution is adsorbed to the fibres. After incubation the microtitre plate is washed with H2O to remove cells and interfering substances. Fibre-bound histamine is detected by the fluorometrico-phthaldialdehyde method. The sensitivity of the assay is 0.63 ng histamine, 2 HCl and the histamine standard curve is linear up to at least 5 ng histamine, 2 HCl. Optimal conditions for the new assay are described. After challenge with anti-Ige a comparison with the conventional histamine release from Ficoll-Hypaque-isolated leukocytes showed almost identical results.
- O. Østerballe, H.-J. Malling andB. Weeke,Specific diagnosis of exogenous bronchial asthma in adults. Comparison between case history, intracutaneous test, RAST, histamine release from basophil leukocytes and bronchial provocation, Allergy34, 175–185 (1979).
- P. Stahl Skov, S. Norn andB. Weeke,Basophil histamine release in patients with hay fever. Results compared with specific IgE and total IgE during immunotherapy, Clin. exp. Immunol.27, 432–439 (1977).
- P. Stahl Skov andS. Norn,A simplified method for measuring basophil histamine release and blocking antibodies in hay fever patients. Basophil histamine content and cell preservation, Acta allerg.32, 170–182 (1977).
- R.P. Siraganian,An automated continuous-flow system for the extraction and fluorometric analysis of histamine, Analyt. Biochem.57, 383–394 (1974). CrossRef
- P. Stahl Skov, S. Norn andB. Weeke,3 H-histamine release from human leukocytes, Allergy34, 261–263 (1979).
- A new method for detecting histamine release
Agents and Actions
Volume 14, Issue 3-4 , pp 414-416
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors