Prostaglandin and histamine release from stimulated rat peritoneal mast cells
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The production of five prostanoids (PGD2, PGE2, PGF2α, 6-oxo-PGF1α, and TxB2) was examined after mast cell activation. Prostaglandin D2 (PGD2) was the major prostanoid produced after stimulation of rat peritoneal mast cells with the calcium ionophore A 23187, compound 48/80 or anti-rat IgE. The amount of PGD2 generated was not dependent on the quantity of histamine released. The time course of PGD2 production paralleled the release of histamine following activation with A 23187 or anti-rat IgE but with compound 48/80 release of histamine reached a maximum within 15 sec, whereas production of PGD2 was apparent only after 5 min and was still increasing at 30 min.
- R.A. Lewis andK.F. Austen,Mediation of local homeostasis and inflammation by leukotrienes and other mast cell-dependant compounds, Nature293, 103–108 (1981). CrossRef
- T. Ishizaka, F. Hirata, K. Ishizaka andJ. Axelrod,Stimulation of phospholipid methylation, Ca 2+ influx and histamine release by bridging IgE receptors on rat mast cells, Proc. natn. Acad. Sci. USA77, 1903–1906 (1980).
- R.A. Lewis, S.T. Holgate, L.J. Roberts II, J.A. Oates andK.F. Austen, Preferential generation of prostaglandin D2 by rat and human mast cells. InBiochemistry of the Acute Allergic Reactions (EdsE.L. Becker, A.S. Simon andK.F. Austen). A.R. Liss Inc., New York 1981.
- R.A. Lewis, N.A. Soter, P.T. Diamond, K.F. Austen, J.A. Oates andL.J. Roberts II,Prostaglandin D 2 generation after activation of rat and human mast cells with anti-IgE, J. Immun.129, 1627–1631 (1982).
- F.L. Pearce, M. Ennis, A. Truneh andJ.R. White,Role of intra- and extracellular calcium in histamine release from rat peritoneal mast cells, Agents and Actions11, 51–54 (1981).
- F.L. Pearce, G. Atkinson, M. Ennis, A. Truneh, P.M. Weston andJ.R. White, Effect of anti-allergic compounds on histamine release induced by basic agents, antigen and the calcium ionophore A 23187. InThe Mast Cell, its Role in Health and Disease (EdsJ. Pepys andA.M. Edwards). Pitman Medical, Tunbridge Wells 1979.
- P.A. Shore, A. Burkhalter andV.H. Cohn,A method for the fluorimetric assay of histamine in tissues, J. Pharmac. exp. Ther.127, 182–186 (1959).
- S.E. Barrow, K.A. Waddell, M. Ennis, C.T. Dollery andI.A. Blair,Analysis of picomolar concentrations of 6-oxo-prostaglandin F 1α in biological fluids, J. Chromat.239, 71–80 (1982). CrossRef
- K. A. Waddell, S.E. Barrow, C. Robinson, M.A. Orchard, C.T. Dollery andI.A. Blair,Quantitative analysis of prostanoids in biological fluids by combined capillary column gas chromatography negative ion chemical ionisation mass spectrometry, Biomed. Mass Spectrom. (in press).
- S.E. Barrow, D.J. Heavey, M. Ennis, I.A. Blair andC.T. Dollery,Quantification of prostaglandin D 2 in plasma, Prostaglandins (submitted).
- M. Ennis, A. Truneh, J.R. White andF.L. Pearce,Calcium pools involved in histamine release from rat mast cells, Int. Archs Allergy appl. Immun.62, 467–471 (1980).
- F.L. Pearce,Calcium and histamine secretion from mast cells, Prog. med Chem.19, 59–109 (1982).
- M. Ennis, A. Truneh, J.R. White andF.L. Pearce,Inhibition of histamine secretion from mast cells, Nature289, 186–187 (1981). CrossRef
- J.R. White andF.L. Pearce,Role of membrane bound calcium in histamine secretion from rat peritoneal mast cells, Agents and Actions11, 324–329 (1981).
- L.J. Roberts II, R.A. Lewis, J.A. Oates andK.F. Austen,Prostaglandin, thromboxane, and 12-hydroxy-5, 8,10,14-eicosatetraenoic acid production by ionophore-stimulated rat serosal mast cells, Biochim. biophys. Acta575, 185–192 (1979).
- M. Ennis, C. Robinson andC.T. Dollery,Action of 3-isobutylmethylxanthine and prostaglandins D 2 and E 1 on histamine release from rat and guinea pig mast cells, Int. Archs Allergy appl. Immun.72, 289–293 (1983).
- M.A. Wassermann, R.L. Griffin andF.B. Marsalisi,Potent bronchoconstrictor effects of aerosolised prostaglandin D 2 in dogs, Prostaglandins20, 703–715 (1980). CrossRef
- R. Patterson, K.E. Harris andP.A Greenberger,Effects of prostaglandin D 2 and I 2 on the airways of rhesus monkeys, J. Allergy clin. Immunol65, 269–273 (1980).
- C.A. Gruetter, D.B. McNamara, A.L. Hyman andP.J. Kadowitz Contractile effect of a PGD 2 analog and PGD 2 on intrapulmonary vessels, Am. J. Physiol.234, H139-H145 (1978).
- Prostaglandin and histamine release from stimulated rat peritoneal mast cells
Agents and Actions
Volume 14, Issue 3-4 , pp 397-400
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Abteilung für Theoretische Chirurgie, Zentrum für Operative Medizin 1, Klinikum der Philipps-Universität Marburg, Robert-Koch-Straße 8, D-3550, Marburg, FRG
- 2. Department of Clinical Pharmacology, The Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, W12 0HS, London, UK