Comparison of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and histopathology in rabbit models of osteoarthritis and immune arthritis
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Osteoarthritis was surgically induced in mature male Dutch Belted rabbits by sectioning the fibular collateral and sesamoid ligaments and removal of the anterior horn of the lateral meniscus. The site of surgical intervention was detectable by MRI. Histopathologic analysis revealed severe focal cartilage lesions on opposing surfaces of the tibia and femur. Histology of cartilage adjacent to the osteoarthritic lesions appeared normal. In another animal model, arthritis was induced by immunization against ovalbumin followed by intra-articular injection of ovalbumin. MRI of immune arthritic rabbit knees showed accumulation of synovial fluid and cartilage degradation. Histopathology was characterized by vascular necrosis of the synovium and depletion of cartilage proteoglycan. MRI can be used to non-invasively follow the therapeutic effects of drug treatment on synovial inflammation and cartilage degradation in rabbit knees.
- E. M. O'Byrne, P. K. Paul, V. Blancuzzi, D. Wilson, D. Gunson, J. Z. Wang, R. S. Mezrich, and F. L. Douglass,Magnetic resonance imaging of the rabbit knee: detection of cartilage proteoglycan degradation. Agents and Actions34, 214–216 (1991). CrossRef
- D. Checkley, J. C. Waterson and D. Johnstone,High resolution NMR imaging of antigen-induced arthritis in the rabbit knee. Magn. Reson. Med.11, 221–235 (1989).
- C. Colombo, M. Butler, E. O'Byrne, L. Hickman, D. Swartzendruber, M. Selwyn and B. Steinetz,A new model of osteoarthritis in rabbits 1. Development of knee joint pathology following lateral meniscectomy and section of the fibular collateral and sesamoid ligaments. Arth. Rheum.26, 875–886 (1983).
- E. R. Pettipher, B. Henderson, T. Hardingham and A. Ratcliffe,Cartilage proteoglycan depletion in acute and chronic antigen-induced arthritis. Arth. Rheum.32, 601–607 (1989).
- A. S. Rubin and E. D. Roberts,Morphometric quantitation of histopathologic changes in articular cartilage in an immunologically-induced rabbit model of rheumatoid arthritis. Lab. Invest.57, 342–346 (1987).
- J. E. Beesley, E. Jessup, R. Pettipher and B. Henderson,Microbiochemical analysis of changes in proteoglycan and collagen in joint tissues from antigen-induced arthritis in the rabbit. Matrix12, 189–196 (1992).
- N. L. Monson, V. M. Haughton, J. M. Modl, L. A. Sether, and K.-C. Ho,Normal and degenerating articular cartilage: In vitro correlation of MR imaging and histologic findings. J. Magn. Reson. Imaging2, 41–45 (1992).
- M. Weidenbaum, R. J. Foster, B. A. Best., F. Saed-Nejad, E. Nickoloff, J. Newhouse, A. Ratcliffe and V. C. Mow,Correlating magnetic resonance imaging and biochemical content of normal human intervertibral disc. J. Orthop. Res.10, 552–561 (1992). CrossRef
- Comparison of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and histopathology in rabbit models of osteoarthritis and immune arthritis
Agents and Actions
Volume 39, Issue 1 Supplement, pp C157-C159
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Research Department, Pharmaceuticals Division, Ciba-Geigy Corporation, 07901, Summit, NJ, USA
- 2. Delta Regional Primate Center, Tulane University, 40433, Covington, LA, USA