Opsonizing activities of IgG, IgM antibodies and the C3b inactivator-cleaved third component of complement in macrophage phagocytosis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Phagocytosis of SRBC by guinea-pig peritoneal macrophages is enhanced by opsonizing IgG antibody alone. IgM antibody requires the presence of bound C3. Treatment of C3b coated SRBC with purified C3b inactivator (yielding EAIgM C1423d) does not reduce attachment to, and phagocytosis by, peritoneal macrophages. This finding suggests the existence of a C3d receptor on peritoneal macrophages. EC43b intermediates which have been produced by removing IgM antibody by mercaptoethanol treatment and by subsequent removal of C1 and C2, are phagocytosed despite the absence of IgM antibody. Furthermore, treatment of EC43b with C3b inactivator does not change phagocytosis. Thus, IgM antibody does not appear to be a necessary prerequisite for the stimulation of phagocytosis, C3b or C3d alone being sufficient.
- M. Rabinovitch,Studies on the immunoglobulin which stimulates the ingestion of glutaraldehyde-treated red cells attached to macrophages, J. Immun.99, 1115 (1967).
- B. Mantovani, M. Rabinovitch and V. Nussenzweig,Phagocytosis of immune complexes by macrophages. Different roles of the macrophage receptor sites for complement (C3) and for immunoglobulin (IgG), J. exp. Med.135, 780 (1972). CrossRef
- H. Huber and M. Weiner,Binding of immune complexes to human macrophages: The role of membrane receptor sites, in: W.H. Wagner and H. Hahn, eds.,Activation of Macrophages, Excerpta Medica, Amsterdam 1974, p. 54.
- B. Wellek, H. Hahn and W. Opferkuch,Quantitative contributions of IgG, IgM and C3 to erythrophagocytosis and rosette formation by peritoneal macrophages and anti-opsonin activity of dextran sulfate 500, Eur. J. Immun.5, 378 (1975).
- I. Gigli and R.A. Nelson,Complement dependent immune phagocytosis. I. Requirements for C'1, C'4, C'2 and C'3, Exp. Cell Res.51, 45 (1968). CrossRef
- S. Ruddy and K.F. Austen,C3 inactivator of man: I. Hemolytic measurements by the inactivation of cellbound C3, J. Immun.102, 533 (1969).
- N. Tamura and R.A. Nelson,Three naturally-occurring inhibitors of components of complement in guinea-pig and rabbit serum, J. Immun.99, 582 (1967).
- G.D. Ross, M.J. Polley, E.M. Rabellino and H.M. Grey,Two different complement receptors on human lymphocytes. One specific for C3b and one specific for C3b inactivator-cleaved C3b, J. exp. Med.138, 798 (1973). CrossRef
- M.P. Dierich, M.A. Pellegrino, S. Ferrone and R.A. Reisfeld,Evaluation of C3 receptors on lymphoid cells with different complement sources, J. Immun.112, 1766 (1974).
- B. Wellek, H. Hahn and W. Opferkuch,Evidence for macrophage C3d-receptor active in phagocytosis, J. Immun.114, 1643 (1975).
- T. Borsos and E.J. Leonard,Detection of bound C3 by a new immunochemical method, J. Immun.107, 766 (1971).
- W. Boyle,An extension of the 51 Cr-release assay for the estimation of mouse cytotoxins, Transplantation6, 761 (1968).
- Opsonizing activities of IgG, IgM antibodies and the C3b inactivator-cleaved third component of complement in macrophage phagocytosis
Agents and Actions
Volume 6, Issue 1-3 , pp 260-262
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors